1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it me?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by cupofteacher, Feb 8, 2011.

1. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I am currently on my GTP and my mentor is away this week so I am taking all my classes on my own, which I am fine with. However one year 9 class who I was observed last week with as being good, are awful. Constant chatting, truancy, getting no work done and being rude. One girl stood up and announced that she thought my voice was annoying. To this the rest of the class defended me, and wouldn't talk to her for the rest of the lesson. Is the constant disruption their way of testing me as they know their normal teacher is not in the room? i am being consistent, following my routines but I cannot believe how different they are to last week...help!

2. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I am currently on my GTP and my mentor is away this week so I am taking all my classes on my own, which I am fine with. However one year 9 class who I was observed last week with as being good, are awful. Constant chatting, truancy, getting no work done and being rude. One girl stood up and announced that she thought my voice was annoying. To this the rest of the class defended me, and wouldn't talk to her for the rest of the lesson. Is the constant disruption their way of testing me as they know their normal teacher is not in the room? i am being consistent, following my routines but I cannot believe how different they are to last week...help!

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

They're testing you out.
    You can choose what happens now. Either show them you're in charge by following your school's sanctions procedure to the letter or let them know they're in charge.

4. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

That sounds as if you actually have a lot of positives to work with.
    Perhaps you ought to recognise that this is a sign that it really isn't you and that they merely need trained in what you want and how you're going to get it.

5. ' To this the rest of the class defended me, and wouldn't talk to her for the rest of the lesson..'
    Really nice, that; I'd focus on that if I were you; she won't keep that up if she doesn't get any support!