1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it me? What can I do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shell43, Nov 22, 2015.

1. shell43

shell43 New commenter

I have just come to the end of a great 3 week block of work, using a lovely book as a stimulus. Children were enthused, they really interpreted character's actions. They understood the plot, they planned well using the same plot, gathered ideas........ And wrote garbage.
    Part of me thinks it was my fault as I was justifying actions out loud when I was modelling the write (although I didn't write them down), most children wrote down their reasons. We wrote fabulous sentences that showed suspense, very few children included any of these in their actual writing!
    I was going to give them just a simple stimulus tomorrow and ask them to write on a similar theme, just to see if they had been confused.
    What are people's opinions?

2. EmmaJ18

EmmaJ18 New commenter

Hi - could you do an edit and improve session? Maybe look back at the success criteria / toolkit of features you wanted them to include, do some evaluation against those. Look back at the WAGOLL that you modelled or a good example from the children (if there is one?) - what made it a good one? Has their writing included the features? Can they identify them? If not, could they find opportunities to add them in. Work with a partner to identify where/why/how they could do that. Have some discussion around what they have written and how those could be made even better etc maybe model editing on the IWB or using a visualiser. Not sure what year group you are in but it's just an idea to avoid having to do something completey new tomorrow.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

No, I'm sure it's not you but I have not really followed what you taught them to do, how you taught them to do it, and what exactly went wrong at the end of the three weeks when they sat down to write a story within some boundaries that you had set other than it being "garbage." Also, how old are these children? What does "justifying actions" mean and when the children "wrote down their reasons" what were they writing reasons for?

I think some children like to write fresh stuff every time so if you work on wonderful sentences beforehand they are not going to want to put them in their story - it's either boring and old hat by then or they can't work out how to fit them into the wacky story they just dreamed up. And a lot of children are really put off by all this writing at school within particular genres. It gives them writers' block. Does the new curriculum really demand this still?

4. shell43

shell43 New commenter

They're year 4, suppose garbage is a bit harsh, but it was generally the age old, I'll write as much as I can, scenario, as a consequence most of them just kept writing.
    Going to do an improve session, they did have SC, but I'm going to go to town on it so to speak.
    I know we don't have to cover genres as such, but at the moment our LA is still using the genre model.
    Thanks for your help.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When I do 'improvement sessions' we pick out say between 2-4 criteria (depending on ability) and then pick 1 colour per SC. They love to highlight when they find examples. Makes what might be a boring task somewhat more interesting. Then they count up how many example of each they have in their story.

6. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

Break everything down into step by step. Work systematically through what you want their work to look like. Scaffold hugely.

7. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Do you provide the children with a tick list to work alongside when they are writing? This could be created together on the whiteboard before writing where children recall the features they need to include and give examples prior to moving away to their tables.

This could also be differentiated for the different groups including an example sentence for the children to use. That way, my children know exactly what to include and what to do. Good luck!