1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it me, or is it the car?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, May 15, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I have just started driving our family car and notice some differences between it and my driving instructor's car obviously, I know). I'm wondering if the following are normal variations or if they are faults needing attention:
    1. footbrake travels much further than instructor's car, but brakes work fine once they engage
    2. I keep thinking I've released the handbrake and start to move away, only to find it's still on. I have to take it all the way down to touch knuckles on the trim to make sure it's off.

Sorry if these are obvious, but to someone who's only ever driven two cars, it's not easy to know.

2. Different cars have brakes that respond in different ways. If you car is older the catch point for the brakes may be further down. If you are concerned, have the brakes checked.
    Perfectly normal though. When I test drove a new car I nearly sent everyone flying through the windscreen as the brakes were a hell of a lot more sensitive than mine!

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

[​IMG] thanx

4. Your handbrake probably needs tightening, but if you make sure its parked in gear they'll sort it when its next MOT'd.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I don't think so. The OP is reporting problems releasing the handbrake not that it is ineffecient ...