1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it me or is it getting harder?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Says it all really.

2. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

It's not you.

3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Thank you - makes me feel better.
    BUT...

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

it is. Every single day.

5. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Yep. I apologised to my staff for being late as I walked in at 7.30am this morning. According to the latest thinking from Gove, school should have already started for pupils. As for going home at 6pm most evenings ...it will be more likely be 8.30pm.
    An out dated holiday system - surely it matches the outdated 'new' curriculum he wants to impose.
    Plus we will get paid what the pupils and parents think we're worth. I give up!!!

6. tsb32

tsb32 New commenter

Can be tough no doubt but harder I don't think so... I think that perhaps any Head's elastcity decrease whilst in post. Things that you can brush off to begin with niggle over time.

7. I'm very much in favour of changing the holiday pattern, 6 weeks is too long, staff and children have forgotten too much (including me) and families are sick of their kids etc, etc....
    I've always favoured a 6 week / on 2 week off approach with 3 weeks in the summer. I'm sure the majority of staff would prefer this, although the world travellers and holiday companies might not!!!
    As for the longer days, fine, but the government will need to fund this, so we can work shifts and operate a flexible working system. Already my staff are working 12 hour days, there is no more time in the locker. This would be harder to impliment in Primary Schools, where we do not have the same teacher levels or timetable systems.
    If we go for the public school model that Mr G so craves, It's enrichment and sport after lunch, followed by cocco and buns, late lessons and prep before seeing the children off site between 7.30 and 8pm. I think this is fab, I estimate we could do this on about 7-8 grand a kid, so much cheaper than public school fees, but much more expensive than current funding.
    I think many staff would love the idea of working early and lates and parents would have to pay less for food and child care, more people could come off the dole. We could also look at the hours that teachers spend training and face to face, in China that's about 45%-55%.
    Gosh, can anyone think of a down side to this?

8. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I haven't even thought about Gove's latest message.
    I always keep bringing it back to the children - that's why we are there but there is so much other c*** that needs doing - so much more this year than ever before. Speaking as a small school head with a 2 day a week teaching commitment.
    Perhaps the niggles are getting to me as a previous poster said.
    One week in - I need to pick myself up, dust myself down and get on with it!!

9. I've been a head in 2 schools for 10 years. It's a different job completely now and yes, I think it's harder now

10. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I really hope this is not the case. I've only been in post since September and really couldn't face the prospect of it being even harder than this. Each time I begin to feel a little more confident in one aspect of the job I get sideswiped by something else. The recurring feelings of inadequacy are tricky to weather

I'm often told that headship is the best job in the world. It's hard to believe, at the moment, that I'm ever going to feel this way.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yeah - I never did.

12. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

I took early liberation from school in 2004. I say that being a head teacher was hard when I left and it has become progressively harder. Working part time in teacher training and as a governor of two local primary schools has kept me in touch with the ever changing demands. Everyone working in school has a professional responsibility to be healthy and sane: we don't hear much about that. I believe those of you still striving to provide the best should take the time to look after yourselves. You are doing a wonderful job - unlike Gove and Wilshaw.

13. Well said. I left in 2012 for the sake of my sanity and family, I did not want to put Mr Gove's ideas into practice. All the school leaders I met in my 30 years in schools were professional, hard working and had the interests of children at their hearts.

14. I now undestand why teachers are such a walkover.
    Glad I am no longer part of such an obsequious workforce.

15. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

It is not clear what evidence you have for your rude comment.

16. I can never understand this sort of comment. You are not part of a workforce that you clearly do not respect, yet you spend your spare time trawling (trolling?) a web site for that very same professional body.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I do hope the door didn't hit you too hard on the backside as you left.

18. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

What an idiot - can't understand why a normal person would make such a comment:((
    Thanks Middlemarch!

Oops - will I get sued as a parent threatened to do to me today?:)

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

the temptation to say "join the queue" when one of them says that, is always huge.

20. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

It doesn't happen to me that often - twice in a fortnight so I am getting used to it.
    Had a real downer before I went to work today and it only went downhill from there - can't elaborate. The worst day at school for at least 3 years. Had a governors meeting after school and it was really positive and I came away feeling better.