1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it me or are Head Teacher's getting younger ...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by potatoes5, Feb 1, 2011.

1. I've been in and out a number of schools recently, both Primary and Secondary and I do think Head Teacher's are getting younger.

I met one secondary Head who is 35 and one Primary Head who is 29.

What do you think is a good age for a Head Teacher?

Or are they perhaps so young because so few want to take on HT's posts?

2. Don't think headteachers are getting younger, I think 35 is an ok age for an HT to start out. 29 is a bit young but not out of the oridinary. I know of an HT who got the job at 27, many moons ago, and was there for 25 years.

3. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

I think the guy who is 35 started his career out very early in England under the fast track scheme which sees graduates parachuted in as deputes in their early 20s into 'tough' inner city schools, which makes you wonder how much actual teaching experience these guys will have.

I would actually think that compared to perhaps 30 years ago HTs will be overall older as there would have been an imbalance in younger teachers in general in the 1970s.

Teaching is a profession with something like 40% in the 50s at present. In the next 10 years there will be a massive shortage but sadly not quick enough for the unemployed surplus we have just now.

4. Don't know about that Freddie. He's been in a couple of years now - very small school granted but seems to be doing well. Very well you could say. I'll need to dig and see if he is product of this acceleration you speak of.

We certainly have an ageing teaching population for sure. And you're absolutely right with the amount due to retire in years to come - I'd say less than ten - we are going to have a problem on our hands.

Then again, I'll be in my 70's so it won't be my problem!!

5. I don't care how old they are; I just wish more of them could use apostrophes properly.

6. Is this my terrible grammar rearing its ugly head?

I'm confident HT's can use grammar and apostrophes well, but I'm not one any more so it doesn't matter and I can shove in an apostrop'he where I like' .

7. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

It is good to see you are still interested in education, Potatoes!

BTW I think it may be a different Head as the one I know of is at a reasonably sized secondary.

Hope you are keeping well and busy!

8. Oh the interest never leaves you.

I may have retired but naturally I am still working. I only know a handful of HT's that have retired and actually stuck to retirement. After I moved house and was spending day after day on my own and on the golf course I started to crack up and had to get active again.

A packet of Dark Chocolate Digestives were only doing me one day and that's when you know it's time to do something.

My daughter suggested I joined a gym but the closest I get to that is drinking with my pal Jim on a Friday night.

Freddie, I'll drop you a wee mail through this system as I see they have it now - just like facebook.