1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it legal to force me to work on non-working days?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Margareen, Jan 7, 2012.

1. I am a part-time teaching assistant in an independent school, paid by the hour for my hours in class during term-time. My employer is now trying to compel me to work on INSET days for nothing, and insists I am also obliged to attend them on days when I do not normally work. Time in lieu is not even being offered as a consideration.

Please is anyone able to tell me whether this is even legal? There is certainly no mention of this in my contract.

Grateful thanks in advance for any help.

Margie.

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I have always attended. I am surprised it isn't written into your contract. We are paid for the contracted inset time now but we were not originally. It is up to us if we attend all of the INSET hours.I think it is important to attend especially at the beginning of term so you are aware of any changes etc. Could you negotiate with the Headteacher? Several of the TAs do this if they have young children and no-one can look after them.

We have only had a Union Rep since Single Status and I work in a large school.It is in your best interest to join a union.You never know when you might need them.