1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it legal for local authorities to exclude external applicants?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by RosieC1234, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I am writing this on behalf of my friend/colleague who has been in her full time permanent post in Moray for approximately 12 years.

She would now like to return to employment within the LEA that she lives,(Highland) as either a class teacher or in a promoted capacity.

There have been a significant number of teaching vacancies advertised internally within Highland in recent weeks, none of which have been open to teachers from outwith the region.

I consider this to be grossly unfair and question the legality of it.

I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks of this.

Regards :)

2. I am writing this on behalf of my friend/colleague who has been in her full time permanent post in Moray for approximately 12 years.

She would now like to return to employment within the LEA that she lives,(Highland) as either a class teacher or in a promoted capacity.

There have been a significant number of teaching vacancies advertised internally within Highland in recent weeks, none of which have been open to teachers from outwith the region.

I consider this to be grossly unfair and question the legality of it.

I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks of this.

Regards :)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't think that you can consider the thoughts of TES posters to be a valid comment on the Scottish legal system!
    In England, it isn't even necessary to advertise posts (except for Heads and Deputies in most cases), so internal advertising would be fine. In addition, on occasion posts are "ring-fenced", i.e. only specific categories of people are able to apply. This is so when, for example, there are redundancies, schools closing, etc.
    It may be that Highland has a larger number of teachers than it needs, and is therefore encouraging them to move around internally, with some dropping out as they retire. This would avoid the LEA having to make staff redundant. If, however, they opened the jobs to other teachers, they might be left with surplus staff and have to pay redundancy money.
    I am sorry that your friend has this problem, but I can see why Highland might be doing this.
    Kind regards to you both.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.

www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com

Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.

www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!