1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ridleyrumpus, Nov 30, 2018.

1. renegade29

renegade29 New commenter

I don’t know how it was ever accepted that support plans are an appropriate way of improving teaching. So you have a stressed out member of the team who, for a range of reasons, is not teaching very well.

I think you may have missed the point as to how support plans are being (mis)used.

2. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

5358A2B2-F54D-4168-89A9-19BDD00615AD.jpeg

3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

There is nothing wrong with a support plan per se, done correctly they can surprise, surprise be supportive.

The problem AFAICS is that should someone be suspected of struggling via complaints etc or there be a perception of someone struggling then far too often the (inexperienced?) SLT drone does is turn to the policies, the capability policy.

8.1. If at any point in the cycle, evidence emerges that an employee’s performance has fallen below the minimum standards expected of them or if there are Teacher Standards which are judged to be ‘Not Met’ then a formal meeting will take place between the reviewer and the reviewee, the reviewer will:
    8.1.1. explain the nature and seriousness of the concerns;
    8.1.2. detail any previous discussions/support;
    8.1.3. give the employee the opportunity to comment on and discuss concerns. IYeah right)
    8.2. The reviewer will also normally be set a monitoring period. This will involve:
    8.2.1. the setting of targets for future performance (in addition to existing performance management objectives) ;
    8.2.2. agreeing any further support with the employee
    8.2.3. making it clear how, and by whom, progress will be monitored and when it will be reviewed;
    8.2.4. explaining that this marks the beginning of informal capability and setting out the consequences and process if no, or insufficient improvement is made.

The "evidence" could be pretty much anything, parental complain, book check whatever. But rather than supporting the teacher this process makes them acutely aware that they are now 6 weeks or so from losing their job/home.

In reality, before this stage an arm around the shoulders a talk and an agreement on how they could be helped would be a reassuring helpful thing.

The above process is not helpful or supportive.

4. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

The trouble is that aspiring, young and inexperienced but ambitious SLT see ‘support’ as good for their own career development and that it is good for one’s career to have shown some ruthlessness, or commitment to ‘raising standards’. They’d probably rather be on the Apprentice.

keyboard2 and agathamorse like this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Of course it won't. It's great to see there is a school with a HT who has a caring pastoral approach and whose staff are paid their worth.

Not every school is like that - as we've seen from many posts - but just because people have different opinions about things should mean a knee-jerk 'this thread needs to be locking'. That's just generation snowflake in action!

agathamorse and no one like this.
  6. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

I didn't say that you intended to be disparaging. Of course, personal , anonymous, anecdotes are a very weak form of evidence. My point was that the personal anecdotes we read on this forum are human reflections of the objectively measured trend in UK schools for older teachers to leave teaching. The exodus of older teachers has not happened by chance and although your school under your leadership does not reflect the trend, the trend is still there. There have been too many examples on this forum over the past ten years of people pushed to the verge of mental illness by the deliberate expulsion of older teachers from the UK teaching workforce.
    There should be incentives, in terms of both salary/pension improvements and in conditions of service to retain older teachers. Instead, the reverse is taking place: they are being pushed out because they are "expensive". Pushing them out is short term, short sighted thinking. They should be valued because of their experience, better education and qualifications- and because of their ability.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. serenitypolly4

serenitypolly4 New commenter

No its not just you ridley. It looks like theres a new epidemic occuring. Or as I should say a mass exodus.

8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

The independent sector is arguably even more ageist, sexist and racist, sadly. I’m glad to be out.

9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

And it’s all done by really thick people, to usually able and experienced teachers. It’s this crass stupidity and arrogance which really, really annoys me. There is no God, just a downtrodden HOD, corrupt Tories and Murdoch.

10. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

The state sector isn't racist or sexists. It bends over backwards to conform to the latest PC shibboleths meaning the school can signal its virtue to Ofstapio and the local community.

In terms of older teachers, however, the state treats them abominably.