1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ridleyrumpus, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You are clearly not a scientist.

Although there will always be such things going on and you will read about them in such places as this, you would expect this "background level" to be reported fairly consistently. As it is, there have been an astonishing increase in the reporting of such things. That is very strong evidence of a very real increase in the misuse of the capability procedure. The fact that it seems almost all of these teachers have been expensive, points secondarily to the fact that it is very often done to save money.

We are now in a situation where there is a shortage of teachers and no one seems to want to do the job anymore. Plenty more are stressed to the point of physical and mental illness due to the workload and no doubt the pressure from management and the constant worry that you can now lose your job in short order.

Not great really, is it?

2. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Support plan? The expections have been higher since the rein of Cameron et al, who - in my opinion - had no idea, despite selling the idea that he was educated at Eton and attended some higher end business school for potential leaders.

I am quitting? There's growing statistics on this, due to increasing pressures on teachers to create excellent results with - as Good Morning Britain reported this morning - one out of six (potentially!) children now reported to have foetal alcohol syndrome, e.g. a range of mental and physical problems that can affect children whose mothers drink alcohol while they're pregnant (no blame on the children with this condition, yet diminished support from the LA).

WRS? Depression? Look at the leadership in a number of schools! Karma Police is so affected by the cut-backs!

I have had enough? Me too! I have been told requires improvement with the marking, as I couldn't be ***** to mark with a red pen, plus good - rather than outstanding - was awarded today in my guided reading class (lowest ability in the year group!) with the year group's EAL and SEN population, despite waking at 3am in the morning panicking after the SENCO emailed everyone last night, saying about the SEN learning walk that never occurred last week, even though it should have!

Schools from BBC2 highlighted these issues rather well, so why isn't anyone from the state is responding to this. Oh, hang on! BREXIT!!!!!

3. no one

no one New commenter

No. I am not a scientist.

No. I have never asked/put pressure on people to leave.

Over half my staff are either UPR3 or paid on leadership pay spine.

Every single member of eligible teaching staff moved up the pay spine this year.

We are not all heartless, power hungry, money grabbing b******s.

4. serenitypolly4

serenitypolly4 New commenter

I bet the OP regrets their attempt to provide a level of reassurance now. It made a welcome change for all of 5 minutes.

thekillers1, agathamorse and no one like this.
  5. Scintillant

No one has said you are.

You have implied that people posting either are not representative of events in the profession and that the ridiculous increase we have seen on these pages over the last six plus years is not representative of an increase in the frequency of such events as we are discussing.

The only evidence you have cited is personal anecdote.

6. serenitypolly4

serenitypolly4 New commenter

Looks like this thread will need locking. I don't agree that we should start criticising the actions of a senior member of staff even if they decide to do things a bit differently.

The OP was trying to provide a level of reassurance.

@Tescarll

@Tesrosaline

7. thekillers1

8. no one

no one New commenter

You said in your earlier post: you are clearly not a scientist.

I just confirmed that I wasn’t.

Surely Workplace Dilemmas is just a collection of personal anecdotes.

I also have never said or doubted that there is an increase. I said that people who are satisfied with their jobs are unlikely to post and that there are alternatives to support plans. Both reasonable points.

9. Scintillant

I think it's more "If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.."

thekillers1 likes this.
  10. Scintillant

Yes it is, but you can deduce something from the crazy rate of increase in the type of post we are discussing.

JosieWhitehead and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

For certain things are in a terrible mess. Quite honestly I taught for more than 30 years and I hardly ever heard teachers in the colleges where I taught complain of stress as I've read on here. I certainly never did although I did work extremely hard and even had loads of preparation and marking in my evenings. I enjoyed my work, got on well with my students, and would be happy today (even though retired some time) to go back to the classes I had in the past and to meet some of my lovely students. It is all so very sad as there seems to be so much that has gone wrong.

12. thekillers1

13. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

1. You are a Diamond of a HT (I take it your are by your comments?) and I take my Hat off to you (to coin a phrase). Your way of doing things isn't the way of education at the moment. I know a HT who has hinted, threatened to get rid of many staff or staff have left because of this person(well into double figures and nearing treble if this continues) and is still on this quest in just over a year.

BioEm likes this.
  14. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

You must work in the best school in the UK ,praise you!

15. renegade29

renegade29 New commenter

Because after reading a wide range of posts concerning support plans - from people who had trodden the path before me and also from Union reps - it became apparent that the process would be anything but supportive.

Consequently, I'm happy to say, I didn't give them the chance. No regrets .

BioEm and (deleted member) like this.
  16. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

After the word "is" in the first sentence quoted above, I think there should be the adverb often.
    Objective evidence that the UK school workforce has become-rapidly-younger in recent years has been posted. Objective evidence that older teachers have been leaving at an unprecedented rate has been posted too. There should be a public enquiry into the reasons for this disastrous loss of experienced , knowledgeable and qualified teachers and the adverse impact it is having not only on the individuals who leave early, but on the education and economic well-being of the country.

Much of the drop in standards has been masked by grade inflation and outright cheating.Grade inflation itself is a form of cheating too, in my opinion, but when it happens gradually over decades, it's not so obvious.

The cheating issue in schools became a crisis-thus the revamp of GCSE exams to reduce coursework cheating. There is objective evidence of grade inflation at all levels. Read, for example, the work of Professor Coe at Durham University on grade inflation in GCSE and A levels.

Younger teachers' qualifications have been achieved in the context of grade inflation and all of their exam certificates are arguably less valuable than those of older teachers. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40654933
    Have young people suddenly become more intelligent and academically able over the past 10/20 years or has the competitive marketplace in education driven real standards lower?

The first sentence I quote above merely states the obvious. "Workplace Dilemmas" is not intended to be a forum for the discussion of statistics and the presentation of scientific evidence. It is for individuals to write about their personal experiences. Therefore, I think your use of adverb "just" in the first sentence quoted above has rather disparaging connotations that are unwarranted.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/teachers-leaving-faster-than-ever-and-10-other-school-workforce-findings/

17. no one

no one New commenter

I never intended to be disparaging. Seems very harsh to jump to that conclusion because of the use of one word. It was a quickly written sentence, the intention of which was to convey that Workplace Dilemmas is a place where people come and share their own experiences.

18. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I don’t know how it was ever accepted that support plans are an appropriate way of improving teaching. So you have a stressed out member of the team who, for a range of reasons, is not teaching very well.

You take their time away from them, you watch them endlessly and criticise them constantly. You pick apart their teaching. How is this supposed to help? Unless, shock horror, support plans are just a paper activity which is a prelude to long term sick, capability and dismissal?

19. BioEm

BioEm Occasional commenter

A thread shouldn’t be locked because someone (gasp) dares to criticise the actions of a senior member of staff. Nor if it is an honest discussion about some concerning practices going on in schools these days. This stuff should be discussed openly. Both sides should be heard. You shouldn’t call to just shut down debate because you don’t like the way it’s going. No one is going against the t&cs of using the site. Luckily we’re still in a world where we’re allowed to talk about our negative experiences without being censored.

This thread may reassure those who have been having negative experiences. It may reassure others that there are heads out there who are reasonable and who care. I don’t see the problem with this thread at all. Calling for it to be shut down is just odd. Yes, there’s quite a bit of negativity on this section of TES community at the moment, but for some people it is a much needed outlet. The only place where people can go for help and advice.

I hope this thread isn’t locked.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  20. imaginarynumbers

imaginarynumbers New commenter

@no one thank you for sharing.
    I for one appreciate hearing of the positive anecdotes alongside the more difficult positions people are finding themselves in - this in no way lessens their plights, but provides some hope and light.