1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ridleyrumpus, Nov 30, 2018.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Or are there even more of the

"I am on a support plan",
    "I am quitting",
    "I am off with WRS/Depression",
    "I have had enough"

Type threads this year.

Numbergame, Curae, ityac54321 and 5 others like this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm not sure. It's that time of year with the cold dark mornings. The enthusiasm of September has worn off, observation cycles are well under way, the grind of marking is also well under way, although summer is still a long way off, the size of the task for exam groups is becoming apparent.
    This time five years ago Mrs Egostomper was putting the boot in to me.
    However a fresh start somewhere else (outside the mainstream)has rekindled the mojo.

3. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I have followed the TES threads for well over a decade.

The rise in support plan or capability threads has been astronomical.

If national data had to be kept on this by all schools and collated, we would be seeing a clear trend.

However, conveniently we can not see such statistics, and what is in reality a national scandal can be dismissed as being "anecdotal evidence".

4. renegade29

renegade29 New commenter

Teacher for 16 years; just signed my SA.

Imagine how many people lurk (like me), who have recently been on the receiving end of a SP and eventual SA - and haven't posted their own thread.

The advice given on here, while not directly aimed at myself, was priceless.

5. serenitypolly4

serenitypolly4 New commenter

I too find many of these posts quite alarming and sad. I guess the only consolation (if that's the right word) is that this is happening to a lot of people.

lardylegs, tenpast7, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  6. serenitypolly4

Why was the advice as you say, priceless?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

The older you get, the more expensive you become in the teaching world.

School managers prefer younger and cheaper teachers, most of which are servile because they have student loans, mortgages (more likely rent!), vehicles, child care, etc., to pay.

Someone up to their eye balls in debt is unlikely to want to lose their job.

Debt, or "credit" as it is wrongly called, allows the powerful to bully the powerless.

We do not not have a shortage of teachers in this country, but we do have a shortage of teachers willing to work in the state sector. Two very different things.

8. serenitypolly4

Some of the reasons for these threads coming out are quite shocking.

I've been reading another thread about covert aggression and bullying in workplaces which begs the question of what the heck is actually going on in schools.

Why are adults bullying other adults through direct or indirect means? We all went to primary school years ago.

When is somebody going to do something about it?

9. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

A very good question. It is unlikely to be resolved anytime soon.

The biggest obstacle, I think, is the management culture in school. Gove and his mate Wilshaw were largely responsible for this.

Management does not exist for the benefit of teachers of pupils. It exists as a weird sort of in school quango that follows the latest shibboleths of Ofsted and DoE dictums.

10. splittinghairs

splittinghairs New commenter

I went directly to speak to my head about bullying and their response was to ask whether I would like them to step in to address those involved. I wouldn’t have thought this question even needed to be asked. Surely if a head knows their staff are involved in bullying and intimidation they have a duty to intervene, not simply ask whether it’s needed?

It’s things like this which means it continues and teachers end up off with WRS or on support plans etc.

11. no one

no one New commenter

I read a lot about support plans on here but I work at a school where not one person has ever been put on one. I imagine that I am not alone.

The thing about Workplace Dilemmas is that no one is ever going to come on and post: Do you know what? My school is ace. All the SLT are really reasonable and considerate. All the staff team get on well and I absolutely adore my job and feel privileged to work with some exceptionally delightful students and their incredibly supportive parents.

I do know that there are schools out there who tackle underperformance in other ways.

12. serenitypolly4

I do know that there are schools out there who tackle underperformance in other ways.

What way is that then?

agathamorse likes this.
  13. no one

no one New commenter

A number of ways.

One way is making sure that people are in the right place. A KS2 teacher was struggling and knew it. They were moved to EYFS a couple of years ago and they are thriving having found that their strength is teaching younger children.

Teachers supporting teachers. We have a recently qualified teacher who is struggling teaching maths. The maths subject leader is working closely with him, taking time to plan with him, model lessons with both his class and their own and he is being sent on external courses. No ‘support’ plan. No targets. No ultimatums. Just an understanding from everyone that this is an area which needs to be improved.

Headteachers allowing flexibility in working practices so that teachers don’t go under in the first place eg PPA at home and never cancelled, flexible working arrangements agreed to, time given for extra responsibilities.

14. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Sounds great, but how do you know this for a fact?

sbkrobson likes this.
  15. no one

no one New commenter

Because I am the head.

I have never put anyone a support plan and neither did my predecessor. Between us that is twenty two years of service.

There are other ways.

16. serenitypolly4

I find this all very heart breaking to read. You do sound like a very supportive person who cares about the wellbeing if your staff. But it's not just teachers who suffer. Would be nice to talk to you further if possible.

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Would this have anything to do with Ofsted, micromanagement, school budgets, league tagles and impossible targets?

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The sentiment behind this post is that in your school things are dealt with more kindly however "there are other ways" could be equally ominous, because the issue is being asked to go because of being too expensive.
    You're just saying there are other ways of achieving that. Or at least, you're not abnegating that possibility with your statement.
    I guess what teaching staff want to hear is "there is more money"
    And even you as HT do not hold that particular magic wand.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  19. serenitypolly4

But it's not always about being too old or too expensive. It could be a whole range of reasons why a teacher is having problems. And it isn't just about how teachers are treated either. This applies to all staff.

So why sit there knocking someone who is trying to instill a bit of hope into this forum when people are full of despair and losing hope?

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It has been a steady increase over the last six plus years.