1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me...?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by WeeMcBeastie, Mar 7, 2012.

1. WeeMcBeastie

WeeMcBeastie New commenter

Thanks for your replies, glad to know it's not just me!
    I will definitely write down any incidents in the future. In fact I used that today in a different school where a delightful Y5 boy told me that I couldn't send him out because he'd tell the head teacher that I was lying and he had done nothing wrong. His face was a picture when I started reading a list of incidents complete with times. I have to say, this week has been the worst of my supply 'career' so far!
    I know what you mean about the 'He doesn't usually behave like that' and the 'Well, they behave for me' comments. It really makes my blood boil! They might as well say, 'I am obviously a much better teacher than you as you are just a supply teacher who isn't good enought to get a proper job!' Another thing that really gets to me is the fact that school's automatically assume that as a supply teacher you must be inexperienced. Don't these people have any idea of how dire the job situation is in their own profession?

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The simple answer to that is "No they don't".
    Will they start complaining when their place of work has been made into an Academy or Free School and they have been made redundant?

3. jj80

jj80 New commenter

ah...yep..Ive had loads of experiences like that!!! I used to do supply in London and needless to say, I have quit! It was utterly appalling seeing what headteachers and teachers do. The pupils definitely ran the schools!

4. Yes.. it happens to most of us at some point i think. I had to call for a TA to remove a child recently (as instructed by the teacher when she warned me he was a pain and not to tolerate any bad behaviour from him). The TA virtually cuddled him as she led him from the room saying 'come on mate, you can come and help me in the library'.
    Any wonder that when he came back in after break he was smug and obnoxious?
    Didn't last long in the room second lesson either, only that time made sure i called SLT and explained this was second chance and still not cooperating. Fortunately Headteacher was not so nice to him and gave him a rolllicking for being so disrespectful.

Taught him several times since and he is much better now.

5. I have experienced much of the things I've read here as well and have a few horror stories as well. It's not just inner city schools that can be like this either, I taught supply in a more suburban area and had to encounter the child who thought they could misbehave because their mother was a governor. Upon leaving the class, the child said, "Goodbye **** teacher." When I mentioned it to the deputy head, she explained the bit about the parent governor. The child thought if I corrected their behaviour, mommy would have me sacked.
    Nowadays, I have a different situation. I work a full time job outside of teaching and work supply on days off and holidays from work. I only mention this to schools who are understanding about it because many teachers think that working another job makes me somehow uncommitted to the teaching profession, this is just bunk.

6. Could I ask what sort of job you have outside of teaching toby?
    I cannot bear the thought of supply any longer but I cannot seem to get anywhere with securing another non teaching job. I feel sick at the thought of the way I am treated - by the kids their parents SMT and the pathetic attempts at behaviour management - i feel useless and powerless
    I just can't bear the idea that this could be my life for the next 20 years

7. I've been applying for jobs outside teaching as well, university student services and admin jobs. Strangely enough some uni admin jobs pay more than teaching!
    I also have my exam marking twice a year, which comes in handy, but I really don't think I can stick out another year like this. I can pay my bills and put petrol in my car, but that's it. No money for savings, nothing to put towards a holiday and no money to buy new clothes or for car repairs. It's so depressing.
    We've been offered a cheap flat in London after Easter and I'm very, very tempted to relocate completely and apply for teaching jobs in London.

8. To answer your question badteacher, I work in residential care with adults with autism. My shifts are 6 days on and three days off, so I put myself down for supply on my days off. Right now, I'm using up my remaining holiday, but not getting the supply I hoped for.

9. planesick

planesick New commenter

Hello, I dont post much on these forums so i feel like i am an imposter really. However, I just wanted to say that if you wish to leave the profession think of doinig something that you absolutely love. I started my own dog boarding/walking business and re-trained as a reflexologist (a year training, 2 sats a month). I now only supply when I really need the money.. for example I am having my stairs re-plastered and painted this week so I phoned the supply agency and asked for work. If you are doing something you love, then you dont mind cutting back a bit.
    I hope it all works for you, I sometimes wonder if we can blame the chn for being disrepectful when they see their teachers treating us that way. I turn down work and blatently tell the agency why... once they have the school on board they rarely go back and check how the school treats us.
    once again, good luck.