1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me or is this contradicting itself? When are you classed as experienced?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by c.richardson, Jan 14, 2011.

1. "The Governors of this successful primary school seek to appoint an
    excellent and enthusiastic teacher to join our effective and dedicated
    team. Experience is essential for this post. <u>Applications are welcome
    from newly qualified</u> and experienced teachers."

As an NQT who has completed my first induction term on a maternity cover contract, would that then make me new but experienced? Or as an NQT who did a 4 year teaching degree with school experience in all four years of the degree across Key Stages 1, 2 and 3 as well as one of the placements being a month in France (teaching fully in French to French children and one Yugoslavian child who spoke no French or English) would that not make me at least slightly experienced in comparison to someone who has done a PGCE?
    I mean I apply to pretty much everything I can unless when I research the school I don't think I would be happy working there. But recently the very few jobs that haven't specifically stated that they want experienced teachers to take on leadership roles have given feedback that my application was fantastic and they love the supporting documents I have sent them "but unfortunately have went with experience as it was what best suited the school's needs."
    Has anyone else found this at all?

2. "The Governors of this successful primary school seek to appoint an
    excellent and enthusiastic teacher to join our effective and dedicated
    team. Experience is essential for this post. <u>Applications are welcome
    from newly qualified</u> and experienced teachers."

As an NQT who has completed my first induction term on a maternity cover contract, would that then make me new but experienced? Or as an NQT who did a 4 year teaching degree with school experience in all four years of the degree across Key Stages 1, 2 and 3 as well as one of the placements being a month in France (teaching fully in French to French children and one Yugoslavian child who spoke no French or English) would that not make me at least slightly experienced in comparison to someone who has done a PGCE?
    I mean I apply to pretty much everything I can unless when I research the school I don't think I would be happy working there. But recently the very few jobs that haven't specifically stated that they want experienced teachers to take on leadership roles have given feedback that my application was fantastic and they love the supporting documents I have sent them "but unfortunately have went with experience as it was what best suited the school's needs."
    Has anyone else found this at all?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you are absolutely right.
    This is daft.
    What has happened, I guess, is that they have a standard bit that they put in every job ad that they do. It includes the bit
    But this time they specifically want an experienced teacher, is my guess, hence that bit that they have put in. The second bit went in automatically.
    But in case I'm wrong, contact them and ask.
    Make sure that you look at the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread, to get the advice for putting in a very good application for any job that you are applying for.
    Best wishes
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    There is also a Weekend Workshop on applications on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you then!