1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me or are some people really disrespectful?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by egyptgirl, Nov 11, 2010.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I was shopping in Tesco this morning and they put out a tannoy to say that they would be observing 2 minutes silence. I stood still and was silent like many, many other shoppers and staff.
    However, I was shocked at the number of people who continued walking around, chatting, laughing and even being annoyed that the checkout staff had stopped serving. The announcement was VERY clear so I cannot see any way that they could have misunderstood.
    One man (who was probably in their 70s or 80s) even tried to force one of the checkout staff out of the way so he could scan through his shopping himself.

2. egyptgirl

I was shopping in Tesco this morning and they put out a tannoy to say that they would be observing 2 minutes silence. I stood still and was silent like many, many other shoppers and staff.
    However, I was shocked at the number of people who continued walking around, chatting, laughing and even being annoyed that the checkout staff had stopped serving. The announcement was VERY clear so I cannot see any way that they could have misunderstood.
    One man (who was probably in their 70s or 80s) even tried to force one of the checkout staff out of the way so he could scan through his shopping himself.

3. that really makes me feel sad. We had a two minute silence at school and even the reception children were quiet for two minutes.
    Those people obviously have no inkling of what some soldiers go through so we can have our freedom.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

This is probably why this should not be done in a shop. There are places where the minute of silence becomes meaningful. A supermarket is not one of them as far as I'm concerned.

5. I worked in a coffee shop when a minutes silence was to be observed on the first anniversary of the 7/7 attacks. The radio announced the silence and we stood in silence. A customer then walked in and loudly made his order. I nodded politely and picked up a cup, the man did look puzzled and then sheepish when he realised. Today during the silence, I had to smile when I heard a pupil in another clasroom shout 'shut it you its a minutes silence!'

6. I can see why the staff would want to pay their respects because its their place of work but there are many people in this country who aren't respectful. I was on a train in the Netherlands once on their remembrance day (sometime in the summer). There was announcement to be quiet and then the train stopped for two minutes. Even people walking along the side of the track with their dogs stopped for the two minutes and stood where they were, heads bowed. It puts us to shame.

7. egyptgirl

It just frustrates me beyond belief! When we held the silence at school last year, even my really, really, really immature Year 9 class were silent.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My wee S1 class were brilliant - there are a couple of characters in the class who I was sure wouldn't manage it but a wee pep talk first about what it was about and a (silent) youtube montage of WW1 remembrance images on the whiteboard kept them silent and deep in thought well after it. I was very proud of them.

9. My class were wonderful too, and very understanding and sensible when I dissolved into a sobbing mess and had to make a speedy exit from te room!

10. My worst S2 class also kept it together. I was really pleased with them.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

A few years ago when I was working in SEBD we decided to reinstate the 2 minutes silence after it had been abandoned because of terrible behaviour. I spent a long time explaining it to my class and invited anyone who felt they weren't going to be able to behave to leave the room then wrote the words of one of the war poems on the board for them to read during the silence. Two were in tears before the end of the two minutes and all were silent. I found that very moving.

12. egyptgirl

I always explain to my classes why we hold the silence if they don't already know. I've never come across a class who acted disrespectfully.
    About six months ago, two students at the school where I work died in a car accident and we decided to hold a two-minute silence in memory of them. The students at school handled it very maturely - much better than I would have done at their age.

13. They showed various city centres on the TV today and it was all very respectful. It seems that it's even more important to respect 11/11 at the moment.

14. Are you JOKING?
    Have you seen some of the comments on here as to why we glorify the memory or support the disability of the tools of the (usually Tory is specified) government, the pawns of Western Imperialism? Where do you think people get their ideas from? They sure aren't smart enough to think it through for themselves.
    I can understand why younger people today think it is all a bit of an irrelevance and because they've never been made to do anything, much less risk their pointless asses for people who won't personally be giving them hard cash in return, don't understand communal activity, sacrifice for an ideal; but they should nevertheless respect the feelings of those who do, for 120 seconds of their f*cking pointless lives. What are they going to miss? Jeremy Kyle?

15. When I was a secondary teacher I used to find it really awful that kid would not be quiet for the silences. We had one the week after the 9/11 attacks and the class I had at the time talked, laughed and made stupid noises during it.

16. Sad reflection really that we have some members of our society who think their lives are so much more important than anyone elses. It's all me me me and no thought for anyone else.

17. If they were in Tesco, they would have been missing three Pot Noodles for the price of one.
    In such a context, its hard to disagree.

18. I have never heard my school so silent yet full of children as I have at 11am today. And our kids like making a lot of noise! A lot of them have family in the forces and are planning to join them themselves when they leave, which I think makes a difference.
    Mr D was saying that not everybody at his work observed it, which he thought was pretty bad.

19. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Ours were brilliant today. We had a whole assembly - not just 2 mins in the classroom.
    Make me wonder if it is mainly adults who are the disrepectful ones...

20. I will never understand how anyone can not sacrifice a minute of their life to pay respect to others. Even if they disagree with the premise, I fail to see what a minute of being quiet in respect of those who do believe with the premise is going to cost them, other than 60 seconds of not thinking of themselves, for once.
    If they want to protest about the premise, they have another 1339 minutes in a day to do so.