1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it harder to get teachers for primary schools than secondary?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by chelsea2, Dec 6, 2015.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I have just trawled through the Schools' Vacancies list on the LA website.
    There are 20 vacancies in primary schools, and only 4 for secondary schools (3 in one school!).

Of the 20 primary vacancies, 10 are for a January start (3 teaching Y6), and 5 more are for a February (half-term) start. There seems little likelihood of most of these being filled except by supply - or TAs. Primary, especially Y6, seems to be the poisoned chalice at the moment.

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@chelsea2 A very similar picture in my LA (could be the same one!). I would imagine that secondaries are just 'making do' until they can re-advertise for Easter start.

However, a colleague of mine who is leaving at Christmas with no job to go to, has applied for several of the primary jobs advertised on the LA website and each school has emailed her after receiving her application to let her know that they have filled the vacancy through other channels (pre-closing date) or have withdrawn the post. Could it be that once the school have read her application and noticed she is currently on UPS (despite pay portability being a thing of the past) they deem her to be too expensive? Hmm...

I think you're right about Y6 posts too.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

As a secondary teacher (retired) I always thought that secondary teachers had it easier in many ways than primary colleagues. I could never have taught there.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

As a retired primary teacher, i'm not going to disagree with you! ;)

5. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I definitely wouldn't want to teach y2 or y6 at the moment!

6. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Taught both - different pressures.

However the level of obsessive micromanagement is definitely more intense in primary.