1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is it good idea to have playground play straight after carpet time???

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Ibuzzybea, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

Oh Nutella. Take a deep breath and be nice. We can't all be perfect all the time but we can try to be respectful! Thing is I agree with everything you say, but your tone is likely to make whoever wrote the op resentful and actually ignore you. Which would actually be a shame.

2. Are you aware of the idea of continuous provision? Basically the whole environment (inside/outside) is set up with resources (not activities) which the children access freely.
    Most nursery children are unlikely to follow instructions to do a specific activity, in a specific time, whether immediately after hearing about it or after having a break. They might remember something about the very last activity they heard about in your spiel but will probably have forgotten about the previous ones. If you have told them about the activity they may remember some words, but will probably not know how to translate that into action, unless the activity has been modelled to them.
    However, if you are interested in supporting them in a specific activity the way forward is to be there supporting whatever it is when the children go to play. Model it there and then and see what happens (this is a 'focus activity'). This saves all that wasted time when children are sitting on the carpet apparently listening (or maybe not).
    While this focus activity is taking place the other children are accessing a rich environment and learning all sorts of things from their chosen resources (the continuous provision), especially if a sensitive adult is watching and intervening (without controlling).
    This is what you might try to aim for. Just aim at the moment to do focus activities (ie don't start just yet, but work with children to get them to a starting point) . If this is a school nursery the children will be very new to it all. Concentrate of getting them settled and used to the continous provision first. Keep your carpet time to the minimum. You can build it up a little bit as the year goes on, but don't be in too much of a hurry.
    Your timetable for all this depends on what your children are like. Spend time watching them.
    Hope this helps.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Of course we can't all be perfect any of the time but I refuse to respect the ramblings of someone who is being paid to run a nursery but who hasn't got a notion about good practice and hasn't even got the wit to post a coherent query on here or to ask for some professional training. Sorry, buzzy, but that's how it is. If she chooses to be resentful then that's her responsibility. Heaven help the children!

4. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

-nutella( self proclaimed EY expert), u make me laugh... -yes my I might not use correct puncutation but its not the end of the world so get over it.
    -I asked a specific question about swapping playtime only because when we r talking about a topic ch have showed interest in ,me and my team set up focus activites accordinly, I think ch benifit if they go to choose straight after input rather than go to playground .
    i didnt ask advice about my provision so save your advice for someone who needs it.
    my planning is based on ch's interests which r gathered by observations and shared learning .
    -yes I am trained as an EY teacher and Got an 'outstanding' from my Local authority .
    -by activities I meant focus set up but of course there is continious and enhanced provision. when ch choose something me my NN and ta , extend their learning using open ended questions ,
    -NO one is forced to sit and do an activity.
    - someone here said why ch sit on carpet to discuss weather?
    hello? after a quick welcome greeting.we talk about the day and weather. it does come under knowledge and understanding of the world.open the EYFS.
    no im not resentful just amused at your immature rant. so funny...
    you can get as nasty as u like, remember it only reflects your issues not mine.
    hope your not as jumpy and rude to your staff, ch and parents.

5. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi inkie
    thanks for your reply. well the playground is shared by the other classes in upper school so we use it for really just gross motor / like bikes and climbing frames and stuff
    the outside area of nursery is tiny , i make the best use by having continious provision boxes for different area which get stuff added as ch's interest emerge.
    the ch dont need to have provision explained, we model focus activities ( planned on their interests), and if a small group shows interest or chooses to come there we do it togther and then note down which direction ch took the activity
    there is free flow through out the session

6. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi thumbie
    yes i have continious and enhanced provision but we do set up actvities . these are not forced on ch. but made fun and attractive and then delivered by sustained shared learning..so even though its adult initiated, its led by the children with sensitive interactions so it doesnt turn into adult directed or led.
    thumbie, i do have 10 mins numbers and patterns and phase one games sessions where we go in groups and play games. ch love it and then come bk and extend their learning using the provision.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Do you think you might be missing some opportunities here? I've highlighted the 'just' because I think gross motor skills should be accorded more weight than you seem to be giving them, perhaps.

8. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi inky
    thank u for reply. by ' just' i meant that we cannot use it for freeflow but only just manage big movements as it is shared by upper schoo. we r on a rota and we get 30 mins am pm slot. in that ch use bikes and large equipment.
    in the tiny area outside my classroom i have a PD continious provision trolly which has balls , hoops and various other PE stuff and in a corner i have soft play matressess and a bench for balancing.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Though perhaps you meant 'only' so perhaps I was wrong there.

10. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

i try and get a balance of gross motor indoors as well coz we have less time in playground. like using big brushes and making big round circles encouraging full arm movement. its fun.

11. spectra, I teach in W Australia, but from what you are asking I think our 'routine' is similar. I do mat (carpet) time greeting, self registration reflection ie how many here, how many away, girls/boys, etc for numeracy, followed by weather chart and read phrases, simple oral phonics activity and then out to 'play'. I never mention the indoor table-top activities because, as you say, the chn don't remember what's been said so why bother? When we come inside again, we have another short mat time where the table-top activities are explained; some are teacher-led, some child initiated. Some advice .. be very careful ... EAs can be excellent, but tread carefully because change does not come easy!! If you fly into something new re routine you will undoubtedly have some serious explaining to do unless you already have the EAs eating out of your hand.

12. Julia, do you set out table-top activities for children to access, or do children access resources and materials from storage areas to use on the tables? I am puzzled that you should need to explain the table-tops to the children, especially if you are hoping they will initiate their own learning in some of the areas. Do the children choose which table they want to work at and move around freely, or are they given group activities/tables? Do you work in a nursery or a reception class? Just curious.

13. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi julia
    im swimming against the tide as my nn and ta dont want to change,, my new routine gives ch unteruppted play for nearly 2 hours out of the three hour session. i have explained the pedagogy behind it. sigh!

14. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi thumbie
    In my case In explain table top only as a starter , to stimulate the already noted interets. They choose from continious provision and do the activity if they wish. The activities are not forced only done through sustained shared learning. I put up the list of vocabulary , prompt and open ended questions that match the learning objective of the activity.

15. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi thank you , your post was very helpful.
    Yes i understand I should have phrased it better , this i realised in hindsight because when i posted the question i didnt realise it would be interpeted by some self proclaimed expert in the way it was made to look like. hey but it opened my eyes to the nasty attitude and nit picking attitude of some people.
    thank you again and yes im doing what you have recommended.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

oh dear. oh dear. i think i said in an earlier post that i have never proclaimed myself an expert in anything.did you miss that? i am neither nasty nor nit picking. grow up for goodness' sake.

17. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi inky
    sorry i dont understand ,r u being sarcastic ?The eyfs handbook and guidence clearly tells us about sustained shared learning. the evidence and obseravtions i recorded from SSL were considered as child initiated by the local authority moderation.
    about the ch deviating from learning objectives. of course, not all who choose to come to table will do exactly the same thing. they add their own touch to the activity and hey if they take it in another direction , supporting adult scaffolds it for them and new intresets and ideas emerge.

18. I think you may mean 'sustained shared thinking' which is briefly mentioned in the EYFS framework. The phrase refers to those occasions on which children and children, or children and adults, interact to share, explore and develop each others ideas. 'Sustained'- long lasting interaction, not just a brief interchange, 'shared'- involving dialogue (not necessarily vocal) with responsiveness and interest on both sides, 'thinking'- the interaction involves development of ideas and understanding. Presumably this could be adult or child initiated, not necessarily child-initiated, although I'm sure that was true of the instances you described in your observations.
    Apparently your activities are "done through sustained shared learning". I'm interested in the idea that you can somehow guarantee and plan for the sustained shared thinking. It seems to me to need the ultimate in sensitive observation, listening and interaction to nudge these occasions into being, certainly not the heavier hand of planning, learning intentions and objectives (unless perhaps your objective is simply to support sustained shared thinking). But maybe that's not what doing an activity through sustained shared learning means.