1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it going to be ta ta to Tata?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34552523

Who remembers the words of Billy Joel's Allentown?

"Well we're waiting here in Allentown
    For the Pennsylvania we never found
    For the promises our teachers gave
    If we worked hard
    If we behaved
    So the graduations hang on the wall
    But they never really helped us at all
    No they never taught us what was real
    Iron and coke
    And chromium steel
    And we're waiting here in Allentown"

Maybe we don't need a steel industry no more. They've found a way that everything we ever need can be made from re-cycled plastic. Ships tanks and cars. It tell you a lot about our nation when there isn't a steel industry that thinks there's going to be enough work here to keep it viable. Not even one from the third word.

God help my children if there's ever the need to get dragged into another war..

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  2. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

British Steel should never have been sold off. It's shameful that what was left of a once great industry came to be at the mercy of shysters from an undeveloped country.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

They do not care, all they see is the bottom line and when they finally do see, it will be far too late.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Has Germany got a steel industry still?
    I don't know the answer to that question, but it is surely a relevant point. If they are surviving then so should we. If their industry has gone under then perhaps there is no future for our steel industry.

5. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I come from a steel town. Joel's sentiment was ten years late for S Wales but pertinent nonetheless.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We seem to be dependent on other nations for so much, I wonder if we will ever be able to stand unaided on our own again.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. xena-warrior

I don't think so. We might ght have the stuff in the ground but it isn't economic at this time to get it out.

8. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

if you can make at the right price and quality,it works ok. If there is no demand costs exceed revenue and ypu go out of business.

9. Duke of York

Don't you go out of business just the same if you get invaded by foreigners and don't have the resources to repel them, Madge?

10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Tata is a private, foreign investor, doesn't need to worry about britian's military might.

11. BobbyPhilips

Not necessarily. Citroën and Philips didn't. Are you advocating a major rearmament programme to protect steel jobs?

12. Duke of York

Not at all. Just protect the skills in essential industries. There's no point in bleating that we don't have them when we really do find we need them.

lexus300 likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, we provide services and other nations do the manufacturing in the new single global-economy.

Which I always find amusing since the British are appalling at customer service. Also expensive. Which is why we now off-shore this. Until we bring it back in-house.

Which aircraft has just been retired? The Vulcan? Because there isn't a single person left who knows how it works and its flight-safety can't be guaranteed.

Who needs skills and resources when we have DESIGN?

Have you noticed how many things now boast the claim 'Designed in Britain'? But do check where they're made. If you care.

lexus300 likes this.
  14. xena-warrior

My husband once temped for an esteemed British brand of gentlemen's attire. Turns out they can say "Made in Britain" if only the buttons have been sewn on here, which was just as well since the fabric was shipped out to Hungary to be made up, then shipped back.

lexus300 likes this.
  15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Unlikely. More to the point, we also seem to have sold off far too much of our own amenities - water companies springs to mind - not only are we dependent on other nations, they also own far too much of the UK too. I find that worrying.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, there's 'made in' and 'assembled in'. My old Nissan was made in Sunderland but I'm under no illusion that the parts must've come almost exclusively from China or AN Other Place.

lexus300 likes this.
  17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I wonder if amongst the army of politico's and civil servants anyone has thought to examine the costs/benefits of having state owned/controlled 'essential' manufacturing in terms of:
    1. Security
    2. Skills
    3. reduced welfare bills
    4. Independence
    5. National pride (not a cost item BTW)
    6. Product quality and quantity when we need it most
    Even if they have, the data will be skewed to support short term-ism IMO.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I find it deeply worrying and cannot help wondering, what on earth our politicians were thinking of when they sold us out, to foreigners.

19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Money. Short-term gain.

20. BobbyPhilips

They thought that tax subsidized steel manufacture was not the job of governement, For how long should government manufacture steel to be sold at less than production cost?