1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it getting too late to find a job?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Frog100, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I applied for a lot of jobs during the last 3 months, had 2 interviews and was offered 1 job which I had to turn down as what they offered was not what was advertised (VERY annoying!). I really had hoped for more interviews and am suprised at the lack of interest [​IMG]
    I'm prepared to work in most countries apart from the middle east with the exception of Egypt. I only have 3 years experience (2 years International, 1 state). Most of the schools that I applied to were asking for a minimum of 2 years exp. I have good references. My CV and statement of philosophy is good (had many experienced teachers check over it). Yet, nothing [​IMG]
    I didn't sign up to any of the job fairs. I'm now considering the April fair, although I still would prefer to get a job through tes/cois/tieonline as it's very expensive for me to get to London.
    Is it getting too late now to find a job abroad? Are there many others in the same situation as me? Should I worry? My current school have already filled my post so there is no going back [​IMG] Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. I should add that I even have 2 years of I.B. experience, although only at MYP level. It's becoming very frustrating and am starting to get down about this [​IMG]

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Jobs will be advertised throughout the year, so even 31st August is not too late.
    However, the earlier in the year you are looking you are competing against the better quality of staff. With your limited experience you won't be picked up by the better schools unless you're lucky. It could be you were foolish turning down the offer you had if you misinterpreted the offer; there are few schools that will be give you the advertised package but many teachers who misread what is on the table.
    The closer to September you are looking the higher likelihood you end up with the dregs, or are the dregs waiting to be picked up. Nevertheless, in my young and carefree days a coupel of times I returned to the UK around June / July <u>after my contracts</u> finished and still found decent work in decent schools.

4. MisterMaker

there are few schools that won't give you the advertised package

5. What I mean was that the school advertised for an 'upper school' teacher and then during interview it turned out to be a PYP job! It just wasn't what I wanted, it then would have made it extra difficult trying to get back to upper school in 2 years time.
    I know my 3 years experience is not what the top schools are looking for, but I was aiming for the middle tier schools and still... nothing [​IMG]

6. MisterMaker

Clearly proving my point that it is teachers who misinterpret things. There is no meaning to upper school except within an individual school's experience. What is upper school to one is a lower school age group for another. Therefore it can refer to KS2 as easily as KS4. If the school is a primary school then you are at fault for not understanding the ad and should put it down to experience.
    Stop referring to upper school as where you want to work, it shows shows you ignorance of school systems.
    Not sure why you would want to bother with MYP, load of cods wallop in my humble opinion.

7. The school advertised for a MYP & DP Teacher and instead I was offered a PYP position! That to me is not properly advertised.
    Why bother with MYP, because it is the curriculum of my current school and ideally I'd like to move onto the Diploma.

8. MisterMaker

That would suggest they thought you were unsuitable for the post shown, but liked you enough to offer something they thought you were suitable for. What is your degree in and what are you expecting to teach?

9. I was wondering the same thing. Do schools go for people less experienced as the job season goes on?

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

No.
    We are only going to market in March and we will get, as always, a large number of applications containing a blend of youth and experience.
    Our late appearance in the market has nothing to do with being a 'middle tier' school.
    (what is all this ballox about the top tier and the middle tier anyway? It's infected the forum recently and it means little. Some modest outfits will be just right for you, Ayahhuasca, and some big places with global reputations won't - and you probably have your own clear ideas about which country you want, and whether 'packidge' or 'promotion' or 'programme' are more or less important to you etc etc)
    No, we and a host of other schools appear later on, owing to a combination of boring factors mostly involving local labour law and the ingrained culture of the school and its host country.
    Once or twice, I have even been obliged to go hunting for a victim in mid-June.
    If a colleague breezes into the office to resign in June, whether because of bereavement, divorce, winning the lottery, burnout/breakdown, sudden desire to change career or do a Masters, out-of-the-blue offer of the job of a lifetime in Lagos - or any other reason, valid or selfish, it doesn't make ours a fourth-rate school, although it perhaps exposes us to the risk of ending up with a young MisterMaker (see above).

11. Thanks for your helpful reply SMT dude.
    Understand the frustration Frog.