1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it frowned upon to love schools after just a year...if you’re looking at schools in the same area

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ds2d12, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Im not keen on my new school, but I love the area it is in. Would it seem odd to try and move schools so soon? What would you say in visits and interviews?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you've only been there since Sept. and you want to continue working in the area I'd suggest you don't try moving. Heads talk. I've known Heads just ring up 'informally' 'for a real lowdown' on a candidate applying for a post if they're local and you might find moving too soon scuppers your chances.

3. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

That’s what I though :(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. 576

576 Occasional commenter

It takes time to settle and establish yourself in a new school. Give it time
    The grass isn't always greener.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

The frowning can be coped with. Are you in an area or a subject area that is desperate for teachers? There is a recruitment crisis after all.

If the above is true then the new Head will frown for about half a second and then congratulate himself on having a school so excellent that nearby teachers are heading towards it.:)

Landofla and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I think it's best to have a really good reason for the move (eg from 11-16 to 11-18, small primary to large, church/not church), not just thinking the grass might be greener on the other side. Then you can present it as being what you'd always wanted to do, but the right job didn't come up last year. You need to be sure for yourself, too, that the grass really will be greener.

JohnJCazorla and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Most posts come up in line with the academic year so you may find that you are most of the way through the year before an opportunity does crop up. As https://community.tes.com/members/johnjcazorla.4680180/ comments it depends upon the local job situation and whether there is a shortfall in your area- or a glut of teachers.
    Remember your current head will also be writing a reference and you need to show a good record of achievement with your pupils to help you secure another post.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I moved jobs after both my first two years of teaching. The first one - the school was OK but it was a horrible long journey to get there and back every day.

The second one I realized I'd make a terrible mistake very quickly but stuck it out for a full year before I moved on.

Since then I've moved twice in 13 years

Lara mfl 05 likes this.