1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it easy to use MacBook Pro at home with a Windows program at school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lolry, Feb 12, 2011.

1. I have won ( Whoooo) MacBook Pro it is so quick - but I only tend to use Microsoft Windows word , publisher and powerpoint fro my planning etc. Do I need to buy the Windows compatability pack ? Will I be able to do my work at home on the Mac , save it to memory stick and upload it at school ? Does anyone use a Macbook and has come across any difficulties or can advise me what I need to buy or do ? thanks

2. Hi, I also use a MBP at home and a RM at school. I agree, Macs are soo much better! You shouldn't have any problems saving a Word document on your Mac and then opening it at school, I do it all the time. If your Mac doesn't have Office I can recommend software4students website...or something similar, they sell official copies of the software a lot cheaper for students and teachers. The only downside is that there is no PowerPoint for Mac, but the Apple version (Keynote) is good and if you save in the right format can be opened with PowerPoint on a Windows pc.

Hope that helps!

3. Forgot to add, Smartboard software also is fine and the only thing you need to check if you've made a presentation with Keynote is that sometimes when you open it with PowerPoint the fonts can change, so check them on your school machine before use in class. :)

4. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Besides the fonts changing, something made in PowerPoint on a Windows PC can appear to have clipart (fully or partially) missing on a MacBook.

5. Hi, I've used mac for years. You can get PowerPoint as part of Mac Office. I also use Paralles on my Mac so I can run Windows XP - It actually runs quicker on my Mac and doesn't slow anything down. The only Windows based software I miss is Publisher.

6. Cool, I didn't know about PowerPoint...must be my bargin version of Office that means I don't have it. Thanks!

7. I use a MacBook Pro at home and a PC at school. I use ActivInspire software (Promethean whiteboard) and I was able to download it for free onto my Mac; documents are absolutely compatible. I don't use Powerpoint but I do use Word a lot on the PC. Planning at home I use Pages on the Mac, which can open Word documents and export into Word format. No problem and so much more fun than planning on the work brick!

8. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

powerpoint is included, the only omission being publisher.