1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it cheeky of me to ask in advance if they will pay travel expenses?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Training_2_Teach, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

I spent approx £200 last month to attend a job fair in London and now have got another interview in London which will cost me £80. Will it be considered bad if I now e-mail them to ask them if my travel expenses will be paid for?

2. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I would say not at all, however be prepared to be disappointed. In my time I have flown from Bangkok to Dubai, as well as Shanghai in the same year on the off chance of getting a job. Got one of them but didnt get a bean back from either. Neither did I get the money for having to stay, avec wife, at a couple of not very cheap hotels!
    Good luck...

Perce

3. Not cheeky...but, as a counterpoint to the above, I was flown in TO Bangkok by my current employer and they paid for my flight, no questions asked (once I was hired). I did have to pay for my hotel, though...

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I wouldn't bother attending an interview unless all expenses - including accommodation - were covered and agreed to beforehand.
    The funny thing is that the only interview I have attended where the expenses have not been paid was the one where I did not get offered the job. Therefore, by some dodgy logic, I only attend those that pay for everything.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Very best wishes, Training_2_teach. The issue of expenses can often be a litmus test of whether or not the school really will be a good employer to work for. Rubbish schools usually find snide and sneaky reasons for not paying.