1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it broken?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daisy1603, Nov 9, 2017.

1. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

I came up close and personal with the pavement last night while out running and landed rather heavily on one knee. I don't know how I managed it but I landed off to the outside of my shin.

The usual fall onto knees scrapes aren't bothering me but when I stand/walk I get a shooting pain down my leg where the fibula is. It is also incredibly tender to touch towards the top, in the area I fell on.

I don't want to bother them at A&E for nothing but is it worth going for an X-ray to rule out damage to the fibula because of the pain?

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Yes, you silly person! :-D
    Nobody on here can help you.

knitone, Lara mfl 05, nomad and 5 others like this.
  4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Dear Daisy,

We're not doctors and we don't have X ray vision. Nor can we examine you through the ether, dear.
    Get to the hospital.

Aunty D.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You might have done if you'd purchased a pair of those X-ray specs they used to advertise in comics.
    upload_2017-11-9_19-30-55.jpeg

Lara mfl 05 and Dunteachin like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

....and take a book or Kindle, money for a drink. You might have a wait, BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER-YOUR KNEE DOES!!!!!

8. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

9. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Oh dear you need to go. It may be a fracture rather than a break but go.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I hope you are at A&E by now!

Didactylos4 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A fracture is a break. This is official from my radiographer husband - you might be referring to an undisplaced fracture - there are lots of kinds of fractures but a fracture is a break and a break is a fracture.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Out running.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

???

14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

If you live around my way (West Midlands) you need to take a packed lunch, soap and flannel for a wash and brush up, money for a hot drink or take a flask and lots and lots more money to pay the extortionate parking charges!

emerald52 and Gemspecs like this.
  15. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

16. daisy1603

I don't like bothering people! I did go, I sat with a drunk guy who'd punched a window, a young lad who'd drunk anti-freeze thinking it was water (?!?!) and several old people who'd be brought in by ambulance.

I was seen by the rudest doctor ever who made me feel like I was wasting her time (which was why I didn't want to go in the first place) but no broken bones :D

I got to finish my book (I only started it yesterday - it was one of those you absolutely can't put down) but I am so mad at how rude the doctor was :mad:

emerald52 and FrankWolley like this.
  17. daisy1603

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being ridiculous by thinking I need to go :D

emerald52 and coffeekid like this.
  18. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

If he was that rude with you, think how much ruder he must have been to the drunk and the young lad!
    Glad you have no broken bones :)

HelenREMfan, emerald52 and daisy1603 like this.
  19. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Good

Most A&E doctors are over-worked, over-tired, under appreciated and underpaid. And they often spend their nights dealing with drunks and idiots instead of the critical stuff they are supposed to deal with.
    This does not of course excuse them for being rude but it does go a long way towards explaining why they might get that way now and then.
    IMO

20. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Lead commenter

emerald52 likes this.