1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it better to resign now or keep under my hat until February?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mantilla, Jan 13, 2016.

1. mantilla

mantilla New commenter

Hello all,

As above really.

I work in a school which is in Special Measures. I know I want to leave as I have young children and the workload now is just not sustainable for me. Everything is changing (mostly good stuff, I hasten to add) but I cannot carry on working every single evening for a part-time role. Should I resign now or wait to hand in the letter for a bit? I know from the school's point of view the sooner they get the letter the better, but are there any disadvantages to me doing it now?

Thanks in advance.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd do it now, help the school out.

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I agree. If you are 100% on going and nothing will change your mind, then do it now. I don't see any disadvantage for you.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It would certainly help the school, who might be able to advertise, interview and appoint before the end of February, so they can have a replacement for after Easter.

And I think it might help you too, because having it all decided and confirmed could be such a relief that you would feel less stressed, more relaxed.

You might even enjoy the last few weeks of teaching!

Have you seen the model resignation letter? Tag me. @TheoGriff if not.

Best wishes

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Your chances of unpleasant observation will probably drop. You'll probably feel happier and the school management will appreciate the time to plan.

6. mantilla

mantilla New commenter

Thanks all, you have all confirmed what I had thought. I am already looking forward to getting back more of a social life and seeing more of my husband!

I have written my letter. It is a variation on the great one on here, thank you.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The only disadvantage is that you don't get to change your mind if (heaven forbid) some kind of domestic bother erupts and you end up needing the job.

But a school in SM would probably be happy for you to just change your mind because the queue of good candidates for your job may not be very inspiring.

Do it. Resign.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I gave in my notice nearly a term earlier than needed (early March to leave at the end of August). The Head came round to thank me personally, and I am sure that it helped us find a good replacement - not always easy in Maths. I hope that whatever you do in future works out well for you.

10. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

i also gave my notice a term early and my colleagues know it. They know I didn't want to leave them in the **** if the head doesn't replace me (UPS +). Please enjoy time with your family.

11. Buttercream

Buttercream New commenter

Same here, I gave a terms notice and I felt so much better in myself because I knew I was leaving.
    However the school still couldn't fill my position (pmld school in the south) and appointed an unqualified teacher.

12. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Told my school second week of September that I would be retiring in July. They did nothing about finding a replacement until second week of May!
    I felt so good knowing that I was leaving and had a countdown in my planner.

ScotSEN likes this.
  13. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

@TheoGriff I can't believe TES hasn't granted you your thumbs up emoticon yet!

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:)

I'm thinking of staring a collection in the street outside TES Towers to pay for it.

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We definitely need one.
    Unfortunately only virtual but here's my donation

[​IMG] to get it started.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Cant you just take a picture of your thumb up in the air and post it on your reply on here?
    ps make the size small or TES wont up load it.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In my final (12 month temporary) post I tried to be helpful and told the Head around Christmas that I wouldn't be seeking a renewed contract for the following September. He stopped talking to me for some time afterwards and looked the other way whenever we passed in the corridor. I took it as a somewhat oblique compliment and eventually he calmed down. We parted on good terms and I liked working for him, but it was time for me to leave teaching and that was that. Once you've definitely decided to go, get the letter in and be done with it.