1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it Anti- Americanism?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tobychainsaw, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Back in December I posted a thread on here titled "Totally Demoralized" where I spoke about how 12 school have me on their "Not Preferred" lists. Since then, I have followed the advice some of you gave me back then and contacted the agency for some reasons why these school wouldn't have me back. Most of schools gave no reason and the one or two who did only gave generic reasons like "Not strong enough" with no further details.
    I was born and bred in the USA but have been living in the UK for over 25 years now. (I haven't lost my accent) Throughout my 15 years of teaching, I have encountered the odd case of Anti- Americanism in schools mostly by teachers and the odd parent. In most cases, being American has been a plus with most children. However, as I stated, there are many teachers in the profession who are Anti-American and I am wondering if some of the real reasons these schools have me on their "Not Preferred" list is simply because they don't want a Yank at their school.
    For the record, in the 25 years I have been in the UK, I have only once played the Anti American card, if you want to call it that. It is not something I do whenever I don't get my way about something. However, there have been recent occurences that have led me to believe that it could be this could be the case.

2. Prejudice is rife in schools and I could quite believe an American accent could be seen in a negative light by staff. I have worked with a Canadian (Different I know, but quite similar) and he found the accent and different upbringing etc a benefit when dealing with his students. In this ferocious employment environment at the moment it is far too easy to end up in the 'too old, 'too expensive' and 'too male' (why is it most cover supervisors are female?). Any slight difference can betaken down as evidence and used against you.

3. Are you secondary or primary? I am primary and being American usually helps with building a rapport with the kids. Secondary is different. Secondary kids can be rude anyway and the fact that we're American makes it worse. It does seem that in the UK, if you say anything deemed slightly offensive against any other nationality, you are branded a racist and hung drawn and quartered, but you can say what you like, no matter how derogatory, against Americans and that seems to be ok.

4. jj80

jj80 New commenter

i'm primary and I found a lot of the girls liked me cause they thought I knew Miley Cirus! lol I worked in schools in London so I had my share of very rude and disrespectful children. But thanks for bringing this up!...I sometimes forget I am a foreigner...even though I am a dual citizen(my dad is British).

5. Being Hungarian is fun. They all think I'm Welsh !

6. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Oh **** I hope not

7. Now you !

8. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

I'm allowed to comment.... i am welsh (LOL)

9. It coud be worth; you could be French like me!

10. In our school we recently had a Canadian teacher and an Australian teacher (both cover supervisors). I know the Canadian teacher annoyed a few people because he was always comparing our children to children in Canada and somehow our kids always came out looking more badly behaved, less intelligent and generally worse. I'm sure someone told him to **** off back home then. He left at the end of that year. However, our Aussie teacher, was always positive about them and the school, so everyone loved him and he was sadly missed when his visa ran out and he left.

So, is it possible you are doing this? Do you compare things to "back home"? Because if you do, it could well annoy people.