1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it all worth it?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by drifterriffraff, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Getting onto a PGCE is struggle enough as it is. You are expected to scrape by on a Teaching Assistant salary for goodness knows how long, and now that the government is scrapping bursaries we somehow have to find the money to get through the course too. Only to come out of training to high unemployment and not exactly the greatest salary if you do get a job.

All very well if it's a second income or you have someone to support you through training but my partner is trying to get into teaching as well.

It's the only thing I want to do but right now I feel utterly defeated!

2. Getting onto a PGCE is struggle enough as it is. You are expected to scrape by on a Teaching Assistant salary for goodness knows how long, and now that the government is scrapping bursaries we somehow have to find the money to get through the course too. Only to come out of training to high unemployment and not exactly the greatest salary if you do get a job.

All very well if it's a second income or you have someone to support you through training but my partner is trying to get into teaching as well.

It's the only thing I want to do but right now I feel utterly defeated!

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear about this. However, I wouldn't worry about unemployment; if you look in the right parts of the country, there are plenty of maths jobs - there is light at the end of the tunnel, as it were. That having been said, it is quite absurd, the amount of debt people are expected to build up.

4. September

September New commenter

Yes it is frustrating but it is all worth it. As the previous poster mentioned, there are lots of maths jobs out there. It is hard work and if both you and your partner are trying then you will be going through the same experiences and the future potential rewards are good. Don't give up. You will feel defeated but it is really worth it if you stick with it. Good luck

5. DM

DM New commenter

You don't need to be a TA first to get into mathematics teaching. All the PGCE secondary mathematics places in the country do not fill and bursaries are still available for this subject.

6. Bursaries are a really recent thing anyway. I had to take out a big student loan for my PGCE. It was worth it.

7. Sorry, but life sucks.
    My old school friend has a first from a very well respected uni, massive amounts of recent job experience and a proven track record. He was made redundant 9 months ago on a very large wage. He cannot find work that will pay close.
    His mortgage, 3 kids and wife rely on the money. Thats life, you plug on. He is doing 50 hour weeks to keep it ticking over doing admin work.
    If teaching is not viable ATM, then something else calls perhaps? its not hard to get on a training scheme for teaching if you are good enough. Teachers wages initially have always be hard/low and the work is stressful. That has been known for years and anyone getting into (or trying) should know.
    I applied for 50 jobs before someone wrote back at the start of my career. I was making ends meet but fortunately had minimal outgoings. There was a time when I thought it was not viable. IMO life is about survival, paying the bills and keeping warm/fed.
    If teaching allows that, cool, if not maybe something else calls if you are unable to factor in the early years of time/cash hardship. Its not a new thing.
    Sorry to sound negative but whilst its frustrating its far from as drastic as many career changes people have had to make in the last year (and potentially those in the future)
    Not getting in Vs losing a job is not in the same league im afraid

8. The early days in teaching are a bit of a struggle pay wise but it does get better quite quickly and there are more chances to take on extra responsibility points after a relatively short period of time, I got one for ICT after a year on the back of a few interactive Excel sheets.

It can be tough getting a break if you are tied to a particular area but subjectively I think it is a bit easier, especially for maths than it was say, even 10 years ago. Our HoD retired 18 months ago and she was saying that even in the early 90s there were often 20 or so very good applicants for each maths post. Now we are struggling to make 3 or 4.

9. DM

DM New commenter

3 or 4? 1 would be nice!

10. Indeed! It only takes one good candidate and we have been fortunate in that despite so many changes we have stayed a strong and well balanced department.

On one occasion, we were down to one candidate and they did their best not to be offered the job by turning up for interview half an hour late! In the end, they got the job and have been a very valuable (and punctual!) addition to the department.

But I take your point DM, I bet some places really are struggling to get anyone.