1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it acceptable to eat things from another person's classroom?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rematch, Oct 29, 2019.

1. rematch

rematch New commenter

I'm going to assume it's not.

My classroom is used at the weekends by outside companies/tutors. I've come back after the half term break and they've:

Eaten most of my fruit and nuts, which are kept in a sealed jar under my desk.
    Used all of the brown sugar I have in a jar in the office (Imagine the horror I felt when I went to make a coffee and there was no sugar - at all!)
    Used all of the white sugar my HOD brings in for the department
    Used all of the coffee that my HOD brings in for the department

Oh, and they've thrown away/used all of/pinched my board spray cleaner. And written on every single one of my white boards, with ink that won't rub off.

I've got the right ump (probably because I couldn't make a coffee!)

Needed to rant, I know it's a bit pedantic!

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

What the …….! I would hope the person who deals with these contracts sends them a large itemised bill with an added 100% for compensation for inconvenience. And no you're not being pedantic - that's outrageous!

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Cost of a new white board?:eek:

agathamorse likes this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,outside lets that use classroom evenings or weekends are a pain.

jlishman2158 and bajan like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Put laxatives in them

6. rematch

rematch New commenter

A colleague has suggested I lick all of the nuts and raisins before putting them back in the jar. I have a cold ;)

caress and (deleted member) like this.
  7. rematch

rematch New commenter

We have this 'magic' spray that gets off nearly everything, I think it's about £15, so hopefully that will work. I can't use it until the end of the day though as it stinks to high heaven!

Glad others agree with me, unfortunately the person in charge of the lets doesn't give a darn about things going missing/being used - this has been going on for years and I just get told 'We get money from them, we can't afford to cause friction'.

I did once put a rather sternly worded note in my box of cereal bars (which had always vanished by Monday when I went to have breakfast) that did deter them for a while.

caress likes this.
  8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Go over the writing with a normal whiteboard pen and you'll find the 'permanent' marker will wipe off now.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It most certainly is not acceptable!

10. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

No, it's not. I'd suggest a strongly worded note on the food, (you could always say that they have been licked, even if you can't be bothered...) pointing out that this is theft of private property. It is possible they come from a background where coffee/tea etc is provided free to all workers, so it just doesn't occur to them.
    Failing this, perhaps a locked filing cabinet? It wouldn't shift the board pen, but it might keep your stuff safe.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Replace the raisins with rabbit droppings

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,that seems to be the general attitude.In my old school (just retired now),we would be told the rooms were not "ours" anyway.

bevdex likes this.
  13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Or did not care. Coffee/tea/biscuits were regularly emptied from the staffroom by people using it after school hours (those were not free to teachers,we paid money each term). Dirty dishes were left in the sink.

14. rematch

rematch New commenter

It's so frustrating. I know the room isn't mine (even though I seem to spend more time in it than my own home) but the food, drink and stationary I buy IS mine. Grr.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Put anything you aren't happy for them to use in your desk drawers, or your car boot.
    Used to drive me nuts when my room was used at the weekends for a church group.

16. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

I was in a similar situation some years ago. School wasnt prepared to talk to the weekend users.

Eventually, the half drunk bottle of orange squash was filled with vinegar. The sugar had 50% salt added. Milk in the fridge was majorly past its sell by date, and had "turned". We left 3 teabags and a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee.

Come Monday morning, the teabags and coffee had gone, as had some of the other stuff. In future, the only stuff left out was the sugar/salt, and squash/vinegar, and anything that was well past it, like soggy biscuits, or mouldy cake.

Surprisingly even this was used up over time...

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Looks like you need to lock things up each weekend...or install CCTV!o_O

18. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I had this. Monday morning and all the furniture rearranged by the weekend people every week. I taped a very large notice on my desk outlining the inconvenience they were causing me

catmother likes this.
  19. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Yep, I've had similar.
    Lets never bothered to tell me when someone was coming so I couldn't lock things away. The room would be rearranged on a random day, and more than once I was sitting working after school and they came and chucked me out.
    The strangest events were the time they had 'used' my worksheets for the next morning, filling in all the answers. And once they left behind 3 massive pots of hot chocolate (the sort that needs hot milk) and 78 eggs.

You have my sympathy. So if it helps, you're not alone.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

About a dozen years ago we were very excited when our next smartboards were installed. There was still an old style white board for writing on off to one side. The FIRST week the boards were there some muppet came to teach evening class and wrote all over the new interactive whiteboard with indelible marker.

Didn't leave a note to say sorry.

agathamorse likes this.