1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it a topic?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bedson90, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi there, I have applied for a Primary SCITT course at Portsmouth and I have been invited back for the second interview which is next Tuesday. As part of the interview I am required to do a 10 minute presentation on the following statement. With complete freedom of subject matter what would be the first topic for your class? What would be the key learning experiences of the children? The topic I had in mind was getting the children to make magazines. I have a degree in journalism, so I have a lot of experience with this, and I thought it would be good because the children would be combining their creative writing skills with working in a team, conducting research etc. I have plenty that I can talk about, and I would be confident that it would be a good thing to teach the children, however I wasn't sure if it qualifies as a topic or not. Do you think this would be a suitable idea, or should I go with my backup idea, which was covering Titanic? Many Thanks

2. Hi there, I have applied for a Primary SCITT course at Portsmouth and I have been invited back for the second interview which is next Tuesday. As part of the interview I am required to do a 10 minute presentation on the following statement. With complete freedom of subject matter what would be the first topic for your class? What would be the key learning experiences of the children? The topic I had in mind was getting the children to make magazines. I have a degree in journalism, so I have a lot of experience with this, and I thought it would be good because the children would be combining their creative writing skills with working in a team, conducting research etc. I have plenty that I can talk about, and I would be confident that it would be a good thing to teach the children, however I wasn't sure if it qualifies as a topic or not. Do you think this would be a suitable idea, or should I go with my backup idea, which was covering Titanic? Many Thanks

3. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

The Titanic is a topic, making a magazine is all about skills and using different media. Combine both and you're on to a winner!

4. I agree with the above - making magazines could be a key part of the process, but it is not a topic in itself.
    What year group is the job for? Be careful that your magazine idea does indeed link to the curriculum, and isn't just the first thing that comes to mind because of your background.
    I would deliberately choose a topic that would inspire boys as a lot of schools have issues with boys writing. If you've seen the schools results and they do indeed have less boys getting good results, then you can refer back to that and they will see that you have done your research.
    I would be inclined to say something along the lines of "Of course, once I know the class well I can plan topics that take the childrens interests into account" as well!

5. Sorry, I've read again and realised its not for an actual teaching job.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Think..most important first lesson
    Who are they and interests
    What things interest me?
    You have 10 minutes to explain.so would these things interest a new class....what skills you wanting to see.....what skills would you want to know about or them to practice.
    Set your targets realistically

7. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

If you really wanted to stick to your strengths and go with the journalism/magazine idea why not have the topic 'Read all about it' That way you cover journalism and open the topic up to a whole load of other things including key historical events such as Titanic. Best of both worlds maybe hx