1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it a polite no?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sarahwoodbury41, Oct 12, 2011.

1. I recently applied for a job and had an email to say they didn't have the depth of applications they would expect and would like to re-advertise in the new year and if I wanted my application could be put forward then. Is it a polite no? or is it worth putting it forward. As per the email sent it showed the same email was sent to 12 others so in total 13 applied which makes me think they weren't interested. Any advise would be great as to whether there is some hope or not.

2. What have you got to lose?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Exactly!
    And you know what to improve . . .
    13 doesn't sound very many people to be against, so it actually seems a very good bet.
    Say that you will re-submit an application. Don't let them just put your old one forward again. You can improve on it. Read my advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread. Many posters have found that this advice really works.
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

4. I had a similiar e-mail like this as well yesterday, but they said they were withdrawing the position due to change of circumstances. They also informed me that they would keep my application on file for 3 months, just in case the situation changes again. Don't know how many people applied, as the e-mail was sent individually and not on a mass scale.