1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it a good idea to use GCSE style questions for ks3 assessments?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Fsmahmood, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Fsmahmood

Fsmahmood New commenter

Hi I am in the process of changing our KS3 assessments, currently we do embed GCSE style questions in the assessments to get them prepared. Just wondered whether this is a good way to go or is it unnecessary? Jut looking at different ways, different schools assess KS3. Thank you in advance.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Yes.

However, what you might do is breakdown the GCSE questions into component parts/assessment objectives, especially for Year 7/lower ability groups.

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  3. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

We have moved away from having the actual assessment as GCSE style. We still do this style of task in our lessons and get students to peer/ self assess them then make improvements.

We’ve made actual summative assessments much simpler which has improved workload and marking burden massively.

4. EGO8

EGO8 New commenter

Why not! I teach Maths.
    What is GCSE-styled? Any question on a GCSE paper?
    I get really confused when colleagues say don't use GCSE styled questions in KS3. The last time I checked there was x/4 = 5 (1 mark) on a Foundation Maths GCSE paper. I dare say that is GCSE styled. If a Y7 class cannot be asked that then what am I doing teaching Maths!

I see '' GCSE styled'' questions as a bank. It is for teachers to reach in and decide what context and time to use them.

border_walker likes this.
  5. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

The English GCSE Language (OCR) questions very nicely scaffold their understanding of the text they've read; retrieve the main ideas < infer these ideas from the language < evaluate those language choices < using the text as a model, show you can make just as valuable choices on the same topic.
    I use this same structure at KS3. If I want all students to make progress on all stages, I differentiate the text given to them. If I want them to make progress on one area of need, I give them the same text but different attainment expectations (target 8-9 should complete all tasks).

6. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Probably depends upon subject,
    As ego8 8 says, its a good idea in maths.
    Makes me laugh/scream/quiver when I hear maths teachers/departments/schools say they start GCSE maths in year 8/9. The ONLY thing in maths they see before year 6 that isn't in GCSE is roman numerals. GCSE maths starts when they learn to count, and its a continuum from then forward,

EGO8 likes this.