1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is it ‘A Brave New World’ for you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, May 18, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

So it’ll be cycling to work for me in a mask. Then the 2m distancing where practical.

Anyone else planning to change their habits when we return to ‘normality’?

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Don't forget your distancing stick.

[​IMG]

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I wouldn’t have thought a mask was necessary when cycling.
    Having tried on my washable face masks that arrived the other day, I’ll only be wearing them when social distancing is difficult - buses and trains. I found them pretty uncomfortable.

Jamvic, knitone, Nanny Ogg and 2 others like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There is no way in a million years I will wear a mask for cycling.

install likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

It’s an anti-pollution mask for the bike - never tried one before.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

They don't work. Leave it at home. Try and find a route that keeps you away from as much traffic as possible. My husband has cycled to work for years and knows all kinds of back ways and quiet routes. They add to the length of the journey a bit but make it a million times more pleasant.

Jamvic, sabrinakat and install like this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

It's The Tale Of The Flopsy Bunnies here. No work until a provisional idea for returning to work on Monday 6th July so, everything is chilled out and steady with an emphasis on having the housework, including that day's project done by noon.

From then on it's just a matter of avoiding sofa sores. Turn the cushions regularly.

8. install

install Star commenter

Thanks @Doitforfree

9. install

install Star commenter

So sorry @Jude Fawley - is that as Supply?

10. Doitforfree

There was a good bit of advice in the paper this morning, that's obvious really. Try out any route you're planning before you're actually cycling to work so that you know how long it actually takes and whether you can manage it and if there's a better way.

11. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Established commenter

Agree with this. It's very unpleasant riding in a mask, for limited benefit. Try to find a quiet route, give yourself a bit of extra time to get in until you find the best way and then watch your commute time fall as you get fitter!
    Don't forget to take a spare inner tube, pump, multitool and tyre levers as the bare minimum. And a drink, depending on how far it is.

Enjoy!

12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

More a demand on my part. I haven't taught since 2004. Of course there'll be a lot of posters on here who will feel the same and are still in teaching.

I'm free of it all.

install likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It is, in the summer evenings when the moths are out!

install and BelleDuJour like this.
  14. Doitforfree

We have extra tough tyres on our books. I can't remember the name but they're brilliant. I've never had a puncture and my husband's had one, and he cycles some very rough paths. He doesn't usually bother with carrying spares. On the two occasions he's had a problem, over many years, I've just gone and rescued him in the car!

install and nomad like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

16. Doitforfree

Nice picture! I thought I'd edited all the mistakes my phone chooses to put in.

install and nomad like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@Doitforfree: Do you mean Schwalbe tyres? We have them on our bikes, and neither of us has had a puncture since fitting them, well over fifteen years ago.

nomad, LiamD and install like this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

And I’ve just realised that when I cycle I will need to beat any other cyclists to the one school staff shower whilst social distancing.

Any answers on how to do this on a postcard please...

nomad likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

You are lucky. I think I may have forgotten how to teach large groups

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Will the shower be open?
    I doubt it, somehow.
    Hotbed of germs (even if you don't share!!)

install likes this.