1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is IGCSE study material the same as GCSE?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by beccaamanda6289, May 24, 2019.

1. Hi, I have just finished my level 2 supporting teaching and learning and I am hoping to start a foundation degree next year to go on to teacher training. I don't have a science GCSE so I am studying at home and then going to sit the exam next year. I was told that all science GCSE's involve practicals which I can't do so I've gone for the IGCSE Biology which is just exam based. What I want to know is, is the study material the same as a GCSE? So if i bought a GCSE book would it be the same as an IGCSE book?

2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

They're not strictly the same (but then neither are GCSEs from different examboards identical) but the content is broadly similar and the biggest differences are in the administration/organiation and assesment of the course.
    A GCSE book will cover pretty much all you need but check it against the specification to see if anything is missing. You'll be able to fill any gaps pretty easily by looking at online revision pages.
    Then do lots of revision using past papers which you'll be able to find online, with their markschemes.

trantranghoadhsphn likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi OP, I know nothing about IGCSEs and so can't help with your question - I just wanted to say congratulations on finishing your Level 2 and wish you the best of luck with your future plans. You're setting yourself great goals - aim high!

trantranghoadhsphn likes this.
  4. rolls

rolls New commenter

IGCSEs are completely compatible with GCSEs in terms of applying for teaching courses. I teach on a Foundation Degree course and encourage my students to take IGCSE instead of GCSE if they need to do a distance course as there are two possible exam points in the academic year for IGCSE but only one for GCSE now.