1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Hallowe'en the Most Christian Celebration We Have?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Nov 13, 2015.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I know that I'm a bit late with this, but we moved house and didn't have the internet for two weeks!

Celebrations such as Christmas and Easter have a big non-Christian element - the Christmas tree is more to do with Yule, for example, and the Easter egg is more to do with the re-birth of nature in spring than anything to do with religion.

Hallowe'en, on the other hand, is obviously directly linked to All Saints Day, and if you believe that it's a celebration of evil spirits, then evil is a religious concept - as an atheist, I don't believe in evil. Also, the celebration of Hallowe'en seems to come from the US, where they're much more religious than us.

I therefore propose that Hallowe'en is actually the most Christian mainstream celebration that we have, and that could well be why it makes me so uncomfortable.

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

My counter-proposal would be the practice of saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

While an argument can be made for convenient timing for Christmas [the Roman winter solstice] and Easter [the Spring celebration] it doesn't really take away from both being more important celebrations to Christians.

Easter is the death and Resurrection of Jesus. Now I'm not religious, but that event is the cornerstone of the Christian faith, the promise of redemption and life after death is what Christianity has at its heart. And of course Christmas is about pressies... sorry no, but being serious for so long is tough... well we all know what Christmas is about, not what the adverts and shops and Victorians were hawking, the underlying stuff.

Halloween? Not entirely sure but it's roots go back to Samhain yes? Big in the celtic world anyway...

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ. The fact that it is now a celebration of merchandising is immaterial. Easter celebrates Christ risen from the dead. Without Easter, Christmas would have no meaning-there would be no Christian church.

Both celebrations have been taken over by more earthly celebrations, but that does not detract from the initial meaning. I think you are referring to how the events are celebrated rather than the events themselves. :D

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Nothing to worry about now, Jacques. It's been over for nearly a fortnight.

6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I suppose I'm thinking that as an atheist I can put up a tree and eat a Yule log and ignore the religious aspects of Christmas, or decorate an Easter bonnet, eat a Creme Egg an ignore the religious aspects of Easter.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Halloween is just Thanksgiving for wierdos.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It would give you terrible indigestion! Put it on the fire!

9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

It seems to me that you, as an atheist, are protesting too much. Perhaps there's an inner theist trying to get out... ;)