1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Is GTP feasible for me to apply for?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by OzarkChick, Apr 14, 2011.

  1. Hello, all, I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who knows much about the GTP. I got my teaching qualification in America (for high school English) 8 years ago and moved to England shortly afterwards. I did some supply teaching briefly but left teaching and moved on to another career and have been in this career for the past 5 years now. I would really like to get back in to teaching and was thinking of going in to primary teaching. Would I have any sort of chance to get a GTP placement? I have done some volunteering at a local primary school and will continue to do so because I know that it helps to have classroom experience.
    Any advice or insight would be very appreciated!
  2. Overseas trained teachers (OTTs) can take up a temporary position as an unqualified teacher for up to four years, based on their overseas qualification. During this time qualified teacher status (QTS) must be gained to continue teaching in state-maintained schools past the four year period. This is commonly done through the overseas trained teacher programme (OTTP).
    You've mentioned that you taught briefly as a supply teacher a little over five years ago, therefore as this four year period will have been counted from your first day within a teaching role, you will find that your four years has passed. However, please do not be alarmed by this news. It does not mean that QTS is now unachievable; it simply means that you will not be able to obtain the qualification while employed within a school.
    The graduate teacher programme (GTP) is an employment-based route into teaching which allows you to gain QTS while employed as an unqualified teacher. Based on the information that you have provided, you are unlikely to be eligible for the GTP programme. Alternatively, you can look at the postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) course, which does not require you to be employed by a school.
    The PGCE is the most common route into teaching in England and Wales. It takes one year to complete full-time or two years on a part-time basis and some PGCE providers can even offer tailored, flexible modular courses, for trainees who have other commitments alongside teacher training or those who have previous teaching experience.
    A detailed outline of the PGCE can be found on the following page of the TDA website:
    You can find further information about the variety of PGCE courses available in your area on the graduate teacher training registry (GTTR) website, where you can search for local training providers and submit your application:
    Although the initial deadline for primary applications was 1 December 2010, for courses starting in September/October 2011, it is still possible to apply for courses with vacancies until 30 June 2011. However, the primary sector is competitive and places tend to fill up quickly.
    As you've said, relevant classroom experience is essential when looking to apply for initial teacher training (ITT) and pursue QTS. Therefore we would advise that you continue your voluntary work within a local primary school. You may also like to contact alternative schools in your area to enquire about shadowing teachers, observing lessons and even helping out with after-school clubs or extra-curricular activities as a wealth of varied experience will help you build the strongest, most comprehensive application possible.
    You can find contact details for state-maintained primary schools throughout England and Wales via the following website:
    We hope that you have found this information helpful and wish you the very best in your achievement of QTS.

Share This Page