1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is governance fit for purpose ?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by neddyfonk, May 18, 2016.

?

How do you feel about governance ?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2016.
  1. I do not know enough to have an opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It serves no purpose I value

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It should stay as it is to challenge and hold to account

60.0%
  4. It is now archaic and needs restructuring

40.0%
  1. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I suspected that the title of this thread should really have been "Is governance on @neddyfonk 's governing body fit for purpose?" and that rather confirms it.

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Not really - I decided I had no point of reference to judge whether my experience was 'the norm' so I joined a second body which proved to be more dynamic and proactive. The first thing that struck me though was the very poor standard of induction. A learning walk and in invitation to a 2hr LA introduction to governance merely orientated me to the contents of the handbook. The official statement that it takes 2-3 yrs to be comfortable in the role makes it abundantly clear that a good induction is a vital starting point. I have never been given a site map ( a vital prerequisite even for a TA ), I do not know what suppliers are normally used, my photo is not on the school website or any information about me or my role. I have never been invited to introduce myself to pupils at assembly or parents at any event. I am not copied in on anything that is happening at school that is part of normal internal 'courtesy' information. In short , we are mostly unseen, unknown and not recognised as being anything much more than an occasional visitor.