1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is GCSE Business Studies is in much demand?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by geek84, Mar 4, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks
    I just want your opinion on whether or not GCSE Business Studies is in much demand by students?
    Thank You.

2. cement

cement New commenter

At the moment, demand for the subject in my school has fallen. We used to have 3 classes of appromimately 25 in each. Now we have 2 classes of appromimately 21 students. The take up of the Diploma options has taken a considerable number of vocational students that we would traditionally attract. Now, with the new Bacc being introduced, we may struggle to sell the subject to parents in comparison to subjects like history or geography. My concern is that it'll go full cicrle again and Business Studies will get seen as a subject throw in the people who they can't think of anywhere else to put them.

3. Our numbers for GCSE and A Level have taken a hammering this year. Nothing to do with the school, just the perception of parents and students about the ebac and the statement about "facilitating" subjects from the Russell Group Universities.
    Really worried about this

4. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

I was worried about the ebacc but we have KS4 stage not age system so pupils pick 2 option subjects in Year 9,10 and 11 and do the GCSE in a year. I had 24 this year but next year I have been informed I have 3 large groups. As for AS, I deliver Economics and Business from EdExcel which I recommend.