1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is foul play the norm?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by runawayjackson, Oct 25, 2018.

1. runawayjackson

runawayjackson New commenter

Been at my current school for many years. Appraisal, observations, relationships with staff, parent, governors and HT always good.

Double RI, joined a MAT as pushed by DFE. Few months up the road, suddenly informal support, passed that, but suddenly moved up next rung of ladder towards capability.

Head teacher had a personality change, MAT all over me, lots of evidence of bullying and victimisation.

Suddenly settlement mentioned. But question or topic to discuss, is it normal for the MAT to just make negatives up out of thin air?

There is no evidence of anything I've done or not done, because guess what I haven't done anything but my job.

So latest is if I don't consider settlement they are considering conduct case based on me deliberately making assessments better than they were.

There is no evidence of this because I am a professional with morals and need to be a role model. Cheating. Never!

Scare tactics...are they normal for long standing, expensive top of scale person they just want to be rid of?

Grievance, union back up and evidence of bullying etc but don't want to say too much here.

I've read the settlement threads on here. This is like the silent killer of experienced teachers that no one outside of teaching knows about.

It should be a national scandal.

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Senior commenter

The thing that gets to me most is the dishonesty of it all.

3. ninanani

ninanani Occasional commenter

Hi,
    There was no evidence in my school either: head teacher told me, which is minuted: 'you are an extraordinarily good teacher, very knowledgeable and a very good employee but I would want you to consider your position or etc... ', lovely isn't it? Threatened me! How dar he!
    I decided it was worth it and got the union in and left. Morally I am still recovering to be honest but at the same time I feel defeated: I did no wrong and should have proven them wrong. I just couldn't afford it and didn't want to work in that school anyway.
    I believe someone should teach SLT a lesson so that it comes obvious to the public what bullying the teachers go through.
    Hope this makes sense to you!

4. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Phillip Green named and shamed as a bully who locks his ex employees into non disclosure settlements. A pity teachers can't name and shame heads who do this.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Anybody considering entering teaching needs to read stories like this...And then do something else.

All those teachers suffering SLT bullying has my complete sympathy.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Unfortunately in many MATs there is a policy of driving down the wage bill by getting rid of all the experienced and expensive teachers. They don't care about who goes in front of the kids - it's all about money.

We're in a small MAT - only a few schools - it's been subtle but the level of accountability is being gradually ramped up and there are other signs that life is going to be much tougher than it has been.

I'm not too far from the end of my teaching life now - I would hate to be coming into this profession (if you can still call it that any more) these days.

Teaching now is a starter job - do it for a few years and then go an find something better and less stressful.

stonerose, lardylegs, Shedman and 9 others like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

...and I would also like to say that in my experience at least- the quality of people coming into teaching these days is pretty woeful compared to what it used to be.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think you have to get legal advice and then sign a settlement agreement - you can't be forced to do it. Admittedly, it is a tough choice between attempting to expose bullying or being able to move on with compensation and an agreed reference, but it is a choice.

9. ninanani

ninanani Occasional commenter

Depends how much you are prepared for it. I wasn't at all like I said but one day I hope some one will start it and then all teachers will have their say. It's just cowardly of me to wait for some one but I am not in a position to do this.

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

well, its your own fault, I hope you know that. You have been teaching too long, and become too expensive. Unforgivable. Don't go around trying to claim victimhood and bullying, If you hadn't been claiming the wage of an experienced teacher, none of this would have happened.

11. install

install Star commenter

Some in Uk society do not respect teachers. Some heads refuse to even teach - its below them. Welcome to 2018 - where some teachers are seen merely as child minders or scapegoats :cool:

12. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

:)

agathamorse likes this.
  13. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

@runawayjackson I really hope you get out of this whole and happy and with a good cheque. I hope you get a union rep who is together and makes the school cough up the right dough and a decent reference, and contact TPS about putting in a lump sum and the effect it may have on your final pension etc.

It's not just happening in teaching, but all in all industries. They are doing this in the NHS, social services, many LEA and public sector funded jobs. Getting rid of the older folk and bringing in trainees who were trained by traumatised older staff, who were in constant fear of losing their jobs and thereby unable to train properly and the overall effect is chaos and we have to learn to live with it.

14. runawayjackson

Exactly, the great hidden crime

15. runawayjackson

Downright liars.

16. runawayjackson

My need for justice is white hot.

17. runawayjackson

32 years on the job. The six figure salary gang pop up and now that means nothing

stonerose, Marisha, nizebaby and 2 others like this.
  18. runawayjackson

Exactly right, how dare I?

FlyingFoxBat likes this.
  19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

They do lie, they do fudge, they do what they have to do to cover their own backs, because if they don’t , they worry that they’ll be held accountable. There’s no integrity, no value placed on experience and no consideration of promoting the well being of their staff. In fact ‘their’ staff are just pawns in the game of climbing their own greasy pole and can be brushed off at any time.

I have nothing but contempt for academies and those who run them for their own ends. None of it is about the children.

20. drek

drek Lead commenter

You can’t fight this on your own. The union does not fight capability cases despite a long string of evidence (percentage of those being threatened and leaving in the last 6 to 7 years), but it will help with settlement agreements I believe. Not sure about that either....... judging for help requests regarding references on here.

If a school does not want a qualified teacher to work at their school anymore for budget reasons, they can and do bully them out using ‘legal’ means (performance management criteria)...... policies drawn up by Gove and prospective academy CEOs during his tenure at the dfe.

Trying to stay on when the ‘bosses’ don’t want you anymore is an uphill battle and they will throw everything at you during this time.
    Full time table of the worst behaved student,groups in the school, combined with guaranteed low residual groups, no support for send students or behaviour issues and then claim you can’t cope and send their thugs (lead experts in the eyes of the law apparently) around to collect observation ‘evidence’.
    They will write numerous letters detailing which stage you are on, detailed observation feedback notes, so by the end of the process they can provide court proof folders of around 200 pages of how they ‘tried’ to support you but you just couldn’t make it....... (they have a whole office full of staff available to provide admin support. The same number that usually provide support to over 2000 employees, instead of 200.)

They have been successful so far. Possibly why there are very few female classroom teachers left over the age of 50. And probably very few male classroom teachers at all.
    I suspect in general they won’t take the poor treatment and disrespect towards their profession or their colleagues lying down the way females do as part of a ‘nurturing’ skill set. Ooh the irony....
    The physical and mental toll of the process are not worth it, neither is hanging around awaiting your turn at the guillotine.
    Of course if you are lucky (and that’s the key factor here) you could pass the first round and breathe a sigh of relief at least until the next round of budget based dismissals......