1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is fish meat?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 17, 2018.

?

Is fish meat?

1. Yes it is meat

32 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No it isn't meat

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Erm...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Daughter and I have a disagreement... I think fish is meat... and she thinks it isn't.

She argues that folks who are pescatarian are vegetarians... and I think they are light meat eaters...

Where do you stand?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

If it's not meat, what is it?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's what I think!

It's a confusing conversation.... :confused:

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think it is flesh ( and I eat it it because I don’t know how I would survive if I didn’t ?!!) and therefore like meat - which I don’t eat because I don’t like the taste / cruelty aspect ... though you can still argue the latter for fish too I suspect :(

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I always thought the distinction is largely a religious one designed to allow or deny access to certain types of food. Catholics for instance have it that meat differs from fish, presumably so that one can pig out on fish and chips on Friday ‘meat’ abstinance day.
    Other religions have their own flavours:rolleyes: of interpretation.

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think colpee is having phone troubles... :)

needabreak likes this.
  9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

:rolleyes: I’m having reply instead of edit but can’t bluddy delete problems.

Why can’t we just have a 30 sec delete window to delete a post?

bonxie likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Fish are not vegetables.

11. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Fish have faces ergo if people eat them they are not vegetarian. Grrrrrr makes my veggie blood boil.

Now, wafer thin ham is a different matter...

colpee and magic surf bus like this.
  12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Eating muscle tissue of animals is essentially meat. We call mammal muscle meat (beef, pork, lamb, venison, and so on), we call foul muscle meat (chicken, duck, turkey, pheasant and so on), as all these evolved from some ancestral fish, what we eat of fish is skeletal muscle, just as the ones mentioned are skeletal muscle. Skeletal muscle allows these creatures to move due to the interaction of proteins, which is why it is a good source of edible protein. In short "fish" is meat, any disagreement is nonsense.

sadscientist and bonxie like this.
  13. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Yes fish is meat. Fish are animals.

But why some Veggies shun meat varies. Some object to factory farming methods, some to the inherent inefficiency and hence pollution and destructiveness of meat farming, others to the idea of slaughterhouses and trafficking animals. These issues are largely absent from fish so lots of Veggies feel justified in eating them. Of course, with fish there is the whole issue of sustainability and some fish are farmed so there is some overlap.

Ultimately it comes down to conscience and what someone is prepared to eat. The ultimate fact is that we all have to live by consuming another living thing, there is no getting away from that fact.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I think fish is a type of meat,
    (but better than meat because if you feed children, no child ever asked for a second portion of fish, so there's always more of it to enjoy for the adults.)

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought, "hurrah, there'll be lots of fish puns" you know, because that many of them are monosyllabic and that many of us are tempered by hangover.
    But atypically for here on a Saturday, none yet, to my disappointment.
    So I'll just sit here and wait for them.
    On my perch.

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I have heard the argument that 'fish is not really meat' from weak-willed vegetarians, who think fish are scaly vegetables that swim around in water.

Just be @sbkrobson. Roach makes a good Sunday joint'.

"Don't tell him, Pike!"

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

So you're not that keen on chicken then?

lilachardy and foxtail3 like this.
  17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It does seem the right plaice to start

les25paul likes this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Is that really the best you can do, for cod's hake?

sunshineneeded, les25paul and colpee like this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Personally I reckon if you're not prepared to skin it, butcher it, and dispose of the waste with your own hands, don't eat it. Animal, bird, fish, mollusc, mussel, beetle, fungus, whatever. All the same to me.

For now I'm sticking with the blood stained omnivorous inertia of 3.5 million years' evolution, but if meat eating was banned tomorrow I'd cope. Raising domesticated cattle as a food source is hugely inefficient and environmentally damaging, regardless of whether or not you like them being slaughtered. It's the environmental argument that would swing it for me. Fish are unlikely to threaten the existence of the planet in any quantity, so therein lies a possible ethical distinction.

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

But dolphinately improving!

les25paul likes this.