1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is fake bake any good?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ceinwyn, Jul 21, 2011.

1. I'm naturally very pale, and I've been to salons for fake tans a couple of times. The Fake Bake product is pretty good when applied professionally, but have any of you used it yourself at home?

2. dande

dande New commenter

Here was me thinking this was something to do with pastry.

3. If you are doing the tan all over you will need a very kind and willing volunteer to do your back!

4. I love Fake Bake. It's the only one I've tried that doesn't streak. Stay away from the spray version as it's rubbish but the lotion's really good.

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

My mother and sisters absolutely SWEAR by the Semi-Chem £2.99 fake tan (self-tanning) mousse. It's apparently a sell out!
    My female relatives always buy expensive cosmetics and beauty products (including Fake Bake and St Tropez), but my sister's teenage stepdaughter got her into this one, and now they're hooked.
    It's really natural on, you see. I once tried Fake Bake and I looked like a chimp. My fingers ressembled chips n curry sauce. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    Oh, I think the Semi Chem one is called St Moritz. Brown and white bottle. Can't think what that's ripped off from?!!

6. Anyone applying self-tan is a sad fuck. Don't do it - it's the girly equivalent of wearing a wig: you can always tell when it's being worn and it always looks cheap and chavvy. Think My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding...

cyolba, the Trinnie AND Susannah of TESworld :)

7. I agree. It always looks fake. And common.

8. You seem to be agreeing with me a great deal recently, pinky. Are you, perchance, the female side of me that I'm supposed to be getting in touch with? If so, I can fit you in for a bit of touching this evening at 8:03pm.

cyolba, a curate's egg of a poster :)

9. Oh **** off, cyolba. I can't believe you feel this strongly about fake tan, and if you do then it's quite sad.
    Coffeekid, pale and happy with it.

10. You forgot this :)

11. Yeah, because if you put a smiley at the end of your post, nobody is ever quite sure if you are being serious or flippant. It's a (not very) cunning ploy that I've now given away.

cyolba, exercised by the little things in life :)

12. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I'm really pale, but I've found that if I mix a little fake tan in with my moisturiser it stops my legs looking quite so shocking and it never goes orange if I just add a little to bodylotion 1-2 times a week. I don't use it everywhere though and still look pale, just with a hint of a darker shade! IT works well even if you mix a tiny dot in with your face moisturiser and helps to cover any imperfections and means you use less foundation.
    Also, I make sure I exfoliate really well beforehand and that I have shaved my legs as it stops it looking patchy. I've been using the one from Clinique for fair/medium skin tones.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A friend of mine uses Fake Bake and i must say it looks really natural. I like Naturasun which is a spray on booth tan. I'm lucky to have my own booth in the gym at home, but it is not really possible to spray yourself. My daughter usually does it for me (and I do friends) but she is away at university much of the time so I don't get to use it much.
    Having said that, I got a nice tan last week in just 3 days in Cornwall....as good as my recent week in Tunisia. On Sunday I shall go and top it up in Majorca for a week, then in August a final blast in Morocco before settling in for a pale winter back in the UK!

14. That's the bit that's worrying me! The bits I can't see going streaky!
    Belle, I don't really get natural tans. I burn so easily, I don't stay in the sun long, and when I do, I'm covered in factor 50!
    Problem is, OH is Spanish, so he and son have that Med look, so they make me look positively ghostly!

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm quite fair and burn too......I got more burn in Cornwall than Tunisia because In wasn't as careful witth the sunscreen.
    However, I do use factor 30 and sunbathe mostly under a parasol. I do go a light golden colour but it takes time and care. I'm lucky as I had Tunisia first, then topped up in Cornwall and now have two more breaks to top up again, but I shall still be using Factor 30 and I'll maintain the colour (for a while at least) with a bit of fakery once home!
    The pale look isn't all bad.....look at Madonna, Nicole Kidman and Dita Von Teese!

16. And in Spain, in olden times, it was seen as a mark of being from an aristocratic background - that's where the phrase 'blue blood' comes from. Middle class Spaniards kept out of the sun to try to cultivate the pale, blue-blooded look.

17. I use Boots own brand self tan (non-tinted) and use one of their self-tan mitts to apply. I have never gone streaky and often get comments on what a lovely tan I have. I usually apply one coat, then another 2 hours later. I am very pale and it develops into a really natural colour.

18. I like those 'hint-of' lotions. Because they only give a hint of colour, they build up gradually over a few days and any mistakes and streaks are much harder to see.
    I've used Dove and Olay ones, think there's a johnson's one as well.

19. I'm not a fan of the build up lotions - I always end up smelling of stale biscuits!