1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is everything here about politics?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Jun 23, 2019.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It eased the pain.

nizebaby likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Noooo! I had Betta Bilda. God, I loved it. And look! A girl! On the box! GIRL!
    [​IMG]

Aquamarina1234 and TCSC47 like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I use to do that and have a yogurt pot on the end... I imagined I was making a telephone system.

I got in trouble for using sellotape... :(

racroesus likes this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yeah but she's making a ... home.

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Have you ever been to any Toy and Train fairs, Grump? They have all this sort of stuff. (and Meccano!)

I missed the chance to make what would have been my most self satisfying comment ever. I was standing in front of a display of extremely expensive model railway bits. Think Saga River Tour prices. There was a 6 year old lad in front of me very close to the trains looking as though he wanted to touch them - but being very good and holding back. The clearly on edge hovering proprietor of the stall asked me if the child was mine, clearly with the intention of asking me to keep an eye on him.

I remember thinking there is a great joke here somewhere, but all I could think to say was "No". As I walked away, it hit me. ---- "Of course the boy is not mine. A toy and train fair is no place for a child!"

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

But @TCSC47 a toy fair is no place for a ....WOMAN! :D;)

Also. Betta Bilda is NOT a toy. It is construction. I was an architect!!!! An ARCHITECT, I'll have you know!

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Grumps, Grumps!! Not so!! Maybe in the minority, but definitely there, making great contributions. I learnt everything there is to know about making model trees for my model railway at one of these fairs from a --- I have to say it --- a woman!

And of course you are totally correct re Betta Bilda

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

ooh how I loved Betta Bllda! Everything was green, red and white apart from the gorgeous metal rods. And I can still remember how it all smelt.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I always wanted to be an architect.

I still have visions of redesigned the shopping centre at the end of our road... sinking the dual carriageway down, creating a big underground car park, an upper pedestrian area with trees and cafes...

Never happen obviously but I imagine it.

I suspect the reality would be sorely disappointing.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My aim was to have some object held from falling by the string and then start the other end of the string smouldering.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Like a cartoon villain?

racroesus likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

Model trees??? You're not serious! What about a bit of plasticine?

needabreak likes this.
  13. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I am constructionally challenged and found meccano a bit beyond me. I did build Lego models, usually prisons, as it seemed easier if they didn't need doors or windows. I probably could have followed instructions for a kit but we only had blocks.

I do remember that when my brother upgraded his action man to the all new eagle eyes and gripping hands variety, we pulled the head off the old one. We then played cannibals by boiling the head in my mum's red le creuset pot on the stove. I must have enjoyed it as I can remember it so clearly now.

lanokia and TCSC47 like this.
  14. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Restricted to proper kit or imitations as well.

TCSC47 likes this.
  15. border_walker

Seem to remember I had this. Roof tiles fiddly to join.

16. grumpydogwoman

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Tried Plasticine. 1/ It droops, 2/ You get oily fingerprints on your pristine rolling stock and other bits and pieces, and 3/ Your mates look down on you for not trying hard enough.

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Meccano for moving models. Couldn't be beaten, although I never managed the giant travelling crane shown on the cover of the box.I

[​IMG]

For building houses I used Bayko.

[​IMG]

TCSC47 and lanokia like this.
  19. border_walker

No I small ones.

20. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Oh dear. \i'vr realised that we had |Bayko, nlt Betta Bilda. Still, it was wonderful.