1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is everyone having a party in their class for the Royal Wedding?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Apr 21, 2011.

1. I am starting my new job in Year 1 and i was wondering whether I should be having a party on the Thursday afternoon for the wedding. I wondered what other people were doing? I am doing lots of activities related to the royal wedding but no party is planned lol.

x

2. Nope! Year 6 and only 6 days before the SATs. Hope you enjoy it tho'.

3. No. We're doin our KS1 tests next week.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Year 6 are running a sort of fair for reception and nursery on Wednesday for an hour or so. They'll have an hour on Tues pm to plan and then run it on Weds pm. By 2.30 we will have done some SATs nonsense for reading, writing and maths on both days, so an hour or so as party time will be most welcome.

I don't think you 'should' do a party. I think you should do whatever you so wish. You could just share packed lunches as a picnic, if you ask all parents to send a packed lunch on that day.

5. I'm a marxist and a republican hell with freeze before my class takes part in any celebration of these parasites.

6. No,no...say what you really think!! I really did laugh at you comment, thank you!

7. bit late to ask for packed lunches i think

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We're having a non-uniform day on Thursday, with a red, white and blue theme. Cariadlet (who goes to my school) says that she'll be wearing all 3 colours and even nagged me into buying her a bloody union jack hairband for the day.
    I, on the other hand, just in case anybody at school hasn't picked up my total lack of interest, am planning to wear black.

Mr C will be at work on the actual day of the wedding, so I've told Cariadlet that I'll arm-wrestle her for television rights for the day as the sad child wants to watch the sodding wedding. Aargh! Where did I go wrong?

9. am delighted to say my school will be having street parties all day, class by class
    delighted because, given we have an inset day on tuesday, and as i teach groups, not a class, i will be rather redundant that week, and i worked extra hours before the break (am p/t) in return for those 2 days off
    so i can exercise my total lack of interest at home - practically all week
    [​IMG]

10. meant to say - commiserations
    hopefully, she'll grow out of it

11. Nope we doing nothing...BAR HUMBUG....We are having a party type thing but for St George's Day as we are off for the 23rd and the day has been moved to the 30th apparently and we are off then too!

12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

[​IMG]

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No. The days off are for celebrating the royal wedding, for those that choose to.
    Linking the royal wedding to proper lessons where teaching and learning will take place is one thing, having a bloody party is quite another.
    Notwithstanding the fact that class parties are horrible affairs - having one at Christmas is bad enough.

14. Quite agree. The wedding is on Friday, we aren't in school that day so why have a party?

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Break from revision for year 6?
    Good opportunity for year 6 to mix with nursery and reception children?
    Opportunity for children to plan and lead activities?
    Celebrating with the rest of the nation?
    Showing the children we know it is a big national event that doesn't come round too often?
    Showing pride in the events of one's country, citizenship?
    and just cos I want to! :p

16. Here Here Mini!

17. mostly cos it's hard to get small children to get their ars*s in gear for 2 days in between and 3 and a half weeks holiday one side and a 4 day weekend the other, i should think

18. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

We're having a non uniform day and wearing red, while and blue. In the afternoon we are having House activities based on the Royal Wedding plus a whole school street party!
    Lots of bunting and decorations - we're going OTT!

19. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

We are only in school for two days next week and so are having two royal wedding themed days. The children are working in cross age class, with about 5 children form Y1-Y5 in each class. Foundation stage and Y6 are staying in their own classes. Each "class" has a range of wedding/royalty projects to choose from that are worth different points e.g design a wedding dress = 5 points, prepare a PowerPoint about the different members of the Royal Family +15 points

On the Thursday it's non-unform for everyone (either Red/White/blue or Come dressed for a Wedding) with a street party for the whole school together on the Thursday afternoon. Prizes have been bought for the class that collects the most points through project work!

I've also bought Royal Wedding themed sick bags for all those staff who find their stomachs upset during the two days

The best bit is that before Easter we ran a competition and the winners went to Build a Bear to buy a Bride and Groom Bear. The Vicar is coming in to school on Thursday afternoon to "marry" them before the party:). they'll arrive at the wedding in the coach that foundation stage are making on Wednesday!

20. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I must admit that's one of the reasons we are going OTT. It's hard enough getting kids into school on a normal day, but we go back after Easter next Wednesday. So we are in for two days then off again for four. If we didn't do something to get the kids in then our attendance % would plummet!

Having said that I do think it's important that the children learn about the monarchy, even if it is to only be able to disagree with them