1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Egypt a safe place to live?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by malcolmagnew3, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Hi,

First time poster here - I've been considering whether or not to work in Egypt for quite some time now. There seem to be plenty of jobs available and the opportunity to work in a sunny climate, travel cheaply and save more money is always appealing, however, I have one big question that just won't go away - just how safe is Egypt to live in?

Many people have said that Egypt is safe, however, just a quick search through Google tells me that Egypt and Cairo in general is not safe, particularly in the last 12 months.

Lots of problems including church bombings inside and outside of Cairo.

Terrorist attacks in tourism resorts such as in Hurghada where tourists were stabbed to death.

Roadside bomb blasts.

The 2015 terrorist attack of the Russian airplane.

The recent Giza pyramids bombing.

The death of two British nationals who died under suspicious circumstances whilst on holiday.

The US embassy attack in Cairo just a few months ago.

More recently the woman released from prison after 230+ after she was jailed for raising concerns relating to harassment of women.

Furthermore, it is worrying that that British embassy have noted the following on their website... "we advise against all but essential travel by air to or from Sharm el Sheikh... There’s a heightened risk of terrorism against aviation... Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Egypt..."

Can anyone provide with with any further information which will ease my worries or is it best to focus on other alternative destinations.

Thanks.

2. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

As a family we’d go if offered.

In the past 18 years I can think of a country where the following has happened ;

2010s
    • 2013, 29 April to 12 July: Pavlo Lapshyn, a Ukrainian student and right-wing extremist, fatally stabbed Birmingham resident Mohammed Saleem on 29 April. Lapshyn later detonated a home-made bomb outside a mosque in Walsall on 21 June.[42]On 28 June, Lapshyn detonated a second home-made bomb near a mosque in Wolverhampton, and attacked a mosque in Tipton with an improvised explosive device containing nails on 12 July. He later admitted to police that he wished to start a "race war"[43]and was sentenced to serve at least 40 years.[44][45][46]
    • 2013, 22 May: A British soldier, Lee Rigby, was murdered in an attack in Woolwich by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale, two Islamist extremists armed with a handgun, knives and a cleaver. Both men were sentenced to life imprisonment, with Adebolajo given a whole life order and Adebowale ordered to serve at least 45 years.[47]
    • 2014, 10–14 February: The New Irish Republican Army (NIRA) claims responsibility for a series of parcel bombs sent to army recruitment offices in Oxford, Brighton, Canterbury, Slough, Aldershot, Reading and Chatham.[48][49]
    • 2016, 16 June: Murder of Jo Cox – Thomas Mair, a 52-year-old white nationalist, shot and stabbed the MP Jo Cox outside a surgery in Birstall, West Yorkshire, and severely wounded a passerby who came to her aid. The attack was treated as an act of terrorism,[50]and in sentencing Mair the judge said "There is no doubt that this murder was done for the purpose of advancing a political, racial and ideological cause namely that of violent white supremacism and exclusive nationalism most associated with Nazism and its modern forms".[51]
    • 2017, 22 March: 2017 Westminster attack – Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old Islamist, drove a car into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge, killing four and injuring almost fifty. He ran into the grounds of the Palace of Westminster and fatally stabbed a police officer, before being shot dead by police. The attack was treated as an act of terrorism motivated by Islamic extremism.[52][53][54][55]
    • 2017, 22 May: Manchester Arena bombing – An Islamist suicide bomber, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, blew himself up at Manchester Arena as people were leaving a concert, killing 22 and injuring 139. It became the deadliest terrorist attack in Britain since the 7/7 London bombings in 2005. Many of the victims were children or teenagers, the youngest being an eight-year-old girl.[56][57]
    • 2017, 3 June: 2017 London Bridge attack – Three Islamists drove a van into pedestrians on London bridge before stabbing people in and around pubs in nearby Borough Market. Eight people were killed and at least 48 wounded.[58][59][60]The attackers were shot dead by police eight minutes after the incident was reported. All three were wearing fake suicide bomb vests.
    • 2017, 19 June: Finsbury Park attack – Darren Osborne, a 47 year old British man, drove a van into Muslim worshippers near Finsbury Park Mosque, London. A man who had earlier collapsed and was receiving first aid died at the scene. The incident was investigated by counter-terrorism police as a terrorist attack.[61][62][63]On 23 June, Osborne was charged with terrorism-related murder and attempted murder.[64][65]In February 2018 at Woolwich Crown Court, he was found guilty on both counts[66]and was sentenced to life imprisonment.[67]

Is Britain safe to work in?

3. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

norwichred, so you chose the easy option of the UK rather than highlighting incidents from the USA or China?

4. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I think Norwichred's comparison is fair, although what I'm going to say next is going to look like a counter argument. We lived in Cairo from 2011 to 2015. In that time our cleaner's brother was shot dead, as was the assistant head of a neighbouring school (who we knew). I don't think this is a typical teacher experience, but it was ours, so it's worth mentioning. We personally wouldn't live in Egypt again, but that has more to do with the frenetic and slightly unpredictable nature of life there. That said, I know people who have lived there 10 years plus and they have know intention of leaving.

5. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

Its my opinion that Egypt in not a safe country tobliSince 2004, the following terrorist incidents have occured in Egypt...

2004 Sinai bombing
    2005 Cairo bomb attacks
    2005 Sharm el-Sheikh attacks
    2006 Dahab bombings
    2009 Khan el-Khalili bombing
    2009 Cairo terrorist attacks
    2010 al-Qidiseen church bombing
    2011 Egyptian revolution - many people jailed
    2014 Al Wadi Al Gedid attack
    2015 downing of Metrojet Flight 9268
    2016 Church of Saints Peter & Paul bombing
    2016 Red Sea resort attacks
    2016 Giza Pyramids attack
    2017 Palm Sunday bombings at St. George's Church
    2017 bombing of St. Mark's Cathedral
    2017 Minya Coptic Christian bus attack
    2017 Arish attack
    2017 Saint Menas church attack
    2018 US embassy attack in Cairo
    2018 Giza Pyramids attack

Yes, terrorist attacks happen in the UK as well, however, those responsible for the attacks are named and generally held accountable for their actions, however, can the same be said of the terrorists in Egypt? Why do you think that every car is checked when you go to a shopping mall car park? Why is every bag scanned when you enter a shopping mall? Why do security guards accompany school trips?

In my opinion, there are much safer cities and countries in which you can raise a family, however, if you want to bring your family to Egypt knowing that the Foreign Commonwealth Office have clearly said that terrorist attacks will be very likely, then that is your own choice.

6. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

The vast majority of those incidents happened in London. If you add in the daily stabbings, I'd be worried about going there if I were an overseas teacher.

A friend of mine teaches in Egypt. She is perfectly happy there and has renewed her contract.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

A friend of mine also teaches in Egypt. I think that he has been there for about five years now. He is very happy there.

Jason_Bourne, yes, it might be the case that terrorists in the UK are held accountable for their actions, but that is not much comfort to someone who has been injured or lost a loved one.

On a different tack, I would be more concerned about the dreadful pollution in Cairo. Mrs Hippo and I were always shocked when we saw the black cloud of filth hanging in the sky over Cairo as we came down the hill from Al Rehab. And who needs terrorists when you have Egyptian taxi drivers?

I have never heard about an expat teacher being killed or injured in a terrorist attack, but two teachers I knew were murdered, one in Qatar and one in Egypt. Sometimes Mrs Hippopotamus and I talk about the risks that we took in Kenya and some of the dangerous things we did. But then I was a younger and even more foolish hippo...

blueskydreaming likes this.
  8. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

When there are other safer countries then why would anyone want to live in Egypt? There's plenty of sunshine and opportunity to save money in countries which provide more stability and safety...

9. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to live/work there. I agree with @Jason_Bourne_. When there are safer places that are just as interesting, why would you go to Egypt?

Jason_Bourne_ likes this.
  10. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

I haven't lived in Egypt, but went on holiday (alone) just over a year ago.

I will never forget loud bangs and being grabbed by a local, pushed into a shop, and the metal shutters being pulled down behind me. We sat there for about an hour before the firing stopped and the police banged on the shutters to say it was safe.

This experience alone was enough to put me off living there.

ejclibrarian and Jason_Bourne_ like this.
  11. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Been here 18 years, lived through the revolutions, never felt unsafe
    Of course there are places you do not go to; same as most most cities
    Low level crime has gone up (as have prices for locals but gone down in real terms for expats) but unlike a previous poster said, security is a lot stricter - majority of taxi drivers and building security (bawab) report things to national security.
    Currently in ACE Club with about 450 other expats enjoying / having a blast of a time at about £1.60 a beer
    Happy New Year everyone

12. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Happy New Year bfg, regards to all at the Ace Club! Make mine a Sakkara Gold!

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I still dream about the yummy felafels they sold on the street, just round the corner from the Jellymould in Heliopolis.