1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is 'Dave' no longer a freeview channel?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I used to get 'Dave' on my freeview (which I get directly through my TV) on channel 19.
    I sometimes watched reruns of TopGear, Red Dwarf and Mock The Week.
    I 'lost' a few channels when our transmitter was turned off on the 9th - but Dave was still there. I re-scanned and got back the channels and Dave was still there....until yesterday when I tried to watch it...gone!
    Has it been moved? Is it no longer on freeview? I know it isn't on freesat (which I also get, through a dish).

Anyone know if it is gone for good?

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I used to get 'Dave' on my freeview (which I get directly through my TV) on channel 19.
    I sometimes watched reruns of TopGear, Red Dwarf and Mock The Week.
    I 'lost' a few channels when our transmitter was turned off on the 9th - but Dave was still there. I re-scanned and got back the channels and Dave was still there....until yesterday when I tried to watch it...gone!
    Has it been moved? Is it no longer on freeview? I know it isn't on freesat (which I also get, through a dish).

Anyone know if it is gone for good?

3. It's no longer on 19, I think its on a channel around 800

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Mine is working fine on Channel 19. My husband's favorite channel when I go to bed early!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Not on any of the channels listed when I do a channel-list on my TV. I tried to scan again, but no luck.
    We have to scan again on the 23rd (I think)...maybe it'll come back then?...Our freeview reception is less than brilliant here, and we've bben promised that when the analogue transmitter goes down then the digital one will be increased and our reception will improve.
    So...no Dave for a few weeks (and maybe not even then) ....figures. ..it was was one of my favourites!

6. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

http://www.freeview.co.uk/var/freeview/storage/original/application/ccd17670e94d6d4af6c6f9bfbf0b4b90.pdf
    According to freeview it is still on channel 19, and it says updated Autumn 2011 so presumably it's just a glitch down to your transmitter. Hope you get it back soon.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If you are currently between retunings with the Digital change over,it could well be that some channels will not be available until it's all sorted out. I'm in Scotland and we've already had our full change over but I remember losing some channels while it was happening.

8. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I've gone over to Freesat - and I miss Dave!

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

That's what he tells you...

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Freeview seems to lose and gain chammels at random. My inlaws only live round the corner and they have some channels that we don't have and vice versa.

11. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

When we had the digital switchover here in Yorkshire in September the boyfriend's Freeview box lost and gained channels all over the place. I retuned my TV (I've got Sky) and it was the same, lost all the ITV channels for a couple of days at one point.
    Try a big rescan (it took my TV nearly 30 minutes to complete it) to see if that makes a difference.
    Sorry, don't know the proper technical term!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It may be that you have the same problem as my mum. You may also have lost more than just the Dave channel as channels are in 'bundles'. She lost her precious CSI channel but hadn't noticed that she'd lost several others until we visited and checked whilst working out what her problem was.
    In the end she needed a new, better aerial (£24) as the booster and old aerial weren't strong enough following the most recent changes/retune. Once the new aerial was fitted she had no further problems but we may have to tweak it again when the final retune takes place.

13. Seren is spot on. The best thing you can do , if you are experiencing problems post changeover , is get the correct aerial for your area. It may involve an initial installation fee but in the long run it will solve a lot of nagging problems.

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I will be more than a little annoyed if it turns out to be the aerial!
    I moved here last August/September and had a new aerial installed and the booster thingymebob.
    A few weeks ago I had a chap come to assess my TV reception - as I am in receipt of certain disability benefits I was entitled to free switchover help. He said the aerial was fine and warned me that I would need to rescan twice in November. Then he installed my freesat dish, and told me that I don't need to rescan this.
    I will do nothing until the second rescan (I think that is the 23rd) when the transmitters are turned off and the promised boost to the freeview happens.
    I live on an estate run by a Housing Association. I'm guessing that I am not going to be the only person on the estate who gets freeview. After the second rescan I'll check with one of the Residents Committee (I think I've got a name somewhere...I don't go to the meetings!) and see if anyone else has lost channels.

15. Freesat and freeview are totaly different animals.
    If you have freesat your dish will have been locked on to a satellite and will not be affected by the highly advertised "Digital switchover" .

The switchover only applies to the aerial on the roof of your house/flat. ..not Sky or Freesat.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

To be entirely fair, I haven't the faintest notion what I'm talking about - I'm just repeating what MrFixit said to my mother before he jumped about in the loft fitting the new aerial he diagnosed her as needing.

17. Mr.Fixit is spot on....Seren is svelt , blonde and gorgeous. :¬))