1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is computing a core subject?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by outdoormaths, Jan 11, 2016.

1. outdoormaths

outdoormaths New commenter

Is computing a core subject? Are you assessing it and entering data like you do for Eng, Maths and Science?

2. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

3. MikeTheKnight1

MikeTheKnight1 New commenter

Certainly not a core subject where I teach! It's still only a foundation subject isn't it?

We are assessing and recording data by means of physical and digital portfolios. With that said, I know a few schools that simply see no need to assess computing.

wanet likes this.
  4. burntoutteacher

burntoutteacher Occasional commenter

Yes it is core now. Our only assessment is once at the end of the year, which is 1,2,3,4 or 5 depending on attainment. 1 = significantly below, 2 = working towards etc.

5. MikeTheKnight1

MikeTheKnight1 New commenter

Is there anything out there that points to Computing being a core subject now? It would certaintly help my case when trying to promote the subject! However I've not heard it mentioned since Computing arrived in September 2014?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

7. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

Computing never has been core, nor ICT, and neither are at present.
    There was some confusion brought in around the time of the National Strategies when the foundation subjects' programme of study were disapplied, except for ICT. However, it did not become a core subject, and still isn't.
    Of course, whether you choose, as a school, to promote it beyod other foundation subjects is up to you.