1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is China, as a geography topic, too controversial?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by purplepearlopal, Aug 3, 2009.

1. purplepearlopal

purplepearlopal New commenter

I am keen to do this topic with my Y3s but my parallel colleague thinks its a really bad idea as it would be too controversial with the parents at our school. Now, I am the geog coordinator and feel that we don't look at enough 'places'. We are also affiliated to some secondary schools in China. Now, of course we are not going to be looking at the human rights issues etc as this is not appropriate for Y3. I was hoping to teach it in a similar stead to Chembakolli and use it as a means of acquring a greater understanding of the culture, climate and places of interest.

I know lots of primary schools do look at China as a topic so just wondered what other people thought, especially if you do teach about China.

Thanks

2. purplepearlopal

purplepearlopal New commenter

I am keen to do this topic with my Y3s but my parallel colleague thinks its a really bad idea as it would be too controversial with the parents at our school. Now, I am the geog coordinator and feel that we don't look at enough 'places'. We are also affiliated to some secondary schools in China. Now, of course we are not going to be looking at the human rights issues etc as this is not appropriate for Y3. I was hoping to teach it in a similar stead to Chembakolli and use it as a means of acquring a greater understanding of the culture, climate and places of interest.

I know lots of primary schools do look at China as a topic so just wondered what other people thought, especially if you do teach about China.

Thanks

3. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

We do a whole topic on China, including geography. We just look at maps and symbols to see what the physical features are and compare these to UK. We also look at housing and life in villages in China and in cities.
    I had a boy whose parents were from China when I last did this topic - he was ecstatic at being the 'expert' and his parents gave me so many resources. My class were really interested in red and giant pandas so we looked at their habitats too and how these were changing.
    I used a dvd showing the tv series where Peter Duncan and his family went round China - a bit iffy in places but showed the diversity of the landscape and cities annd villages. It was about 8 pounds from amazon.
    I certainly wouldn't say China is controversial as you just make it fit with the geography skills you want to teach. It would be grat if you could use your links with Chinese secondary schools to exchange data about weather, etc.

4. I taught it instead of Chembakolli this year :) We got into a whole load of interesting conversations about differences in culture (but I did make a big effort to also identify similarities!). We talked about the one child policy quite a lot as they were fascinated by it. Go for it! :)
    giggle. xx

5. It sounds like your colleague is more interested in what the parents might think rather than what the children could learn. I've been there! Unless you have parents related to victims of Tiananmen or fanatical activists from Amnesty International, I don't think there's a problem. Go for it and have fun. Get some resources together and sell it to your colleague that way. If your colleague still wants to do some boring village in India instead, that's his/her problem.

6. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Agreed - it sounds somewhat oversensitive! China is a huge country that is geographically, historically and culturally rich.

7. We are about to do China with year 5 after half term. It is a World leader now and so children need to understand the sims and diffs between us. I think it will be a fantastic topic and well worth pushing. Go for it!