1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is being nervous normal?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bobby_Carrot, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I feel really nervous at the thought of going back tomorrow. Completed NQT last year but have just realised that this is the first time the class will really be 'my class'. Doing training it was obviously someone else's class and ultimately their responsbility. During my NQT year I worked in two schools, one as a mat cover 'babysitting' **** a class until they returned and the second slass I picked up had someone else for half the year. Ny name was never on their books, register, doors, school paperwork, etc...
    Also flying solo now (no mentors/support) and have been given responsbility for an area. And starting at a new school.
    Are these nerves normal?
    *** Obviously I wasn't 'babysitting' because I was teaching/planning/assessing and doing a good job but in some respects this is how it feels as the class is never really yours, if that makes sense.

2. I feel really nervous at the thought of going back tomorrow. Completed NQT last year but have just realised that this is the first time the class will really be 'my class'. Doing training it was obviously someone else's class and ultimately their responsbility. During my NQT year I worked in two schools, one as a mat cover 'babysitting' **** a class until they returned and the second slass I picked up had someone else for half the year. Ny name was never on their books, register, doors, school paperwork, etc...
    Also flying solo now (no mentors/support) and have been given responsbility for an area. And starting at a new school.
    Are these nerves normal?
    *** Obviously I wasn't 'babysitting' because I was teaching/planning/assessing and doing a good job but in some respects this is how it feels as the class is never really yours, if that makes sense.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Totally normal! I am starting my 16th year and yet am still feeling nervous, I do every year.

Of course it is daft...but hey ho! This time next week we'll all be settled in and nerves will be forgotten.

4. Experienced teachers still get nervous before going back to school each year :) Dont worry, its perfectly normal. I find it helps to take deep breaths and tell myself "Its only a job!" over and over again!!
    I also dont sleep the night before because I spend the night going over everything in my head.
    You may have finished your NQT year but you've never had your own class so it will feel like your first proper job, and the school will understand this. My advice would be to ask questions constantly, whenever you need to. Dont let concerns or questions stagnate as you will get to the point where you feel its too late to ask! It is better to actively seek help when you need it and you WILL need it because you are constantly learning and developing in this job.

You'll be fine - dont put too much pressure on yourself, remember your still early in your career, and enjoy experimenting and finding ways of teaching that suit you!