1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is being a TA the right move for me?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nick_smith0900, Aug 30, 2019.

1. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

On full pension?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Only if they have made alternative arrangements to TPS

3. install

install Star commenter

Nope. It would be reduced. But the option is there to retire at 50 for teachers with reductions. And under the new scheme police will retire at 60 to gain the full pension.

Police officers also pay more into their salary schemes by comparison. Not sure how it compares now but Teachers used to pay 6% ; Nurses 9%; and the Police a whopping 12% into their salary schemes.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  4. d_fahey

d_fahey New commenter

I am now a TA after 27 years of being a teacher. I know 3 ex police officers who do an amazing job at school in roles like isolation room and behaviour management, and one is a TA. So it is absolutely possible to find a great role in education, and I think schools will snap you up, lucky to get all your experience cheaply, and the students will reap the benefits. Relationship building, deescalation, and a good dose of finding out what might happen in the big wide world. Secondary definitely though. You have so much to offer, so go for it x

install likes this.
  5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Wow, so many commenters suggesting that the 'best' TAs are single mums or young adults.

It depends what you are looking for in a role. What about coaching a sport in school or working as a learning mentor? Or admin? Social work?

Volunteer in a school for a week and see if you like it.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I see starlightexpress has already made some valid points but
    perhaps not 'shot at' but certainly being threatened, or attacked can be regular occurrences. Dealing with the trauma of traffc accidents and having to notify relatives of a death certainly make it a very stressful job. Plus trying to 'restrain someone high on drugs' can't be easy in ones 50s.

starlightexpress likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You need to volunteer and to experience it.

At the moment it's just pie in the sky. You have to get down and dirty.

8. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Yes you are correct about police officers being a stressful job and not easy in ones 50s. I am actually for retiring in ones 50s but not just police officers. I'd say 55 would be a good age to retire for police and teachers. If not 55 for teachers then at least by 60. I don't want to teach after I'm 60. 58 perhaps would be ideal.

starlightexpress likes this.
  9. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

Moaning about police retiring in their 50s puts me in mind of those who moan about teachers getting all that time off - try it if you want the benefit!

I’ve had brill TAs from all walks of life - the usual thing that makes them brill is liking children and recognising them as smaller humans. Some police officers are brilliant, some are shocking.

Try it, you might like it!

10. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

Go for it!

11. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

We had a retired PO work in a House Office: she was beyond brilliant with kids. Good luck

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. matevans

matevans New commenter

I've done both jobs. Don't remember being shot at... Yes night shifts were hard, but then so is day after day of 15 hour days and weekend after weekend spent marking. Paid a lot more in the police and crucially when your shift ended your work ended. Teaching is endless. The jobs are different - pros and cons for each. But just not true to say 'no comparison'...

13. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

I don't think teaching is seriously dangerous, and you don't get your health, mind and body clock messed up by shift work, either

14. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Not by shift work, @Corvuscorax, but your health, mind and body clock can be seriously undermined in other ways in teaching.
    Not seriously dangerous? I suppose it depends how you view dangerous . if you've had furniture hurled at you, been spat at, kicked and punched, been threatened by parents, had your mental health damaged by work place bullies, been driven to the brink (sadly, some have taken their lives), been stabbed, (again, tragically this has resulted in loss of life), then I would argue that it can have dangers of its own.

1970devon and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Don't forget the amount of extra equipment and body Armour that police officers have to carry, this places a physical strain on people, I know of a former police officer who told me that many of his older colleagues were becoming exhausted by this.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm not sure why people are commenting only on the PO side of you, when this (quoted) is far more telling.
    At the age you are, I assume your kids would still have keen recall of TAs in their own schooling, and if they say you could do the job, they are saying it based on knowledge of you as a person, beyond just your job title, against personal knowledge of what a TA does.
    Therefore their opinion has a sound basis.

(My own kids used to tell me I should be a police officer just because I once found twenty seven thousand sweet wrappers under their mattresses while they were downstairs watching telly... but that opinion had no sound basis, because they had zero first hand experience of any police officers.Yet.)

Flanks and Lara mfl 05 like this.