1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is BEd Hons in Secondary Education & Mathematics (QTS) enough to teach A-Level maths?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by dream2reality, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Not much more than that. I cant seem to find a definitive answer on the TDA website.
    http://www.marjon.ac.uk/courses/courses/coursesearchbysubjectarea/educationandteachertraining/qtsundergraduatecourses/bedhonssecondaryeducationandmathematics/

Thanks in advance

2. It looks like it will give you QTS
    QTS is QTS is QTS and for me simply allows you in the door to a school. Your chances of, and suitability for, teaching A level maths will not really be influenced by such a course.
    Generally the subject knowledge will not be covered at that level on the course. your ability to understand and deliver the A level will generally 'happen' outside that arena
    It will be up to a potential school as to whether you get the gig as it were.

3. hmm i see. doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. really hope i get to teach a-level maths after i finish the course. would hattttttte ONLY teaching gcse.

4. I'd go in to teaching with more of an open mind, you might be surprised at which aspects of the role you find most satisfying. I'd also be surprised if you don't end up teaching mostly KS3 in your first few years.

5. See the post above also....
    Wrong job choice for you IMO as you may spend the first copuple of years with the 'less desirable sets' and you might not even get GCSE groups.
    It all depends on the school, their confidence, outlook, your ability and where the gaps are.
    I know in my school out of about 250 lessons a week there are about 10 A level lessons......to get in the frame for teaching you either have to be very good, kiss butt or sit on a rota that may not see you get any for a whole 2 year cycle....Even then you may get 1-2 of your 20+ hours teaching a module that you dont like to kids that arent what you thought they would be.
    You have a duty in the meantime to deliver education to ll age ranges from 11-16, with varying ability and motivation to learn.
    80% of my timetable could be taught by any rational adult with a bit of prep the night before. The behaviour management, motivation and knowledge of moving kids forward is what my job is about,
    You may get a good school, good HoD and may get lucky but IMO this one is not for you if you would quote "hatttttttte" the thought of doing what the majority of maths teachers do for their career.
    I am having 6 of 8 groups this year being KS3 bottom sets......thats 16 hours of simply keeping kids from leaving their seats.

6. Agree almost entirely with Betamale on this one.

It's certainly true that the knowledge required to teach at KS3/4 is woefully low and the main part of the job is engaging pupils. Finding ways to engage them is a very creative challenge and as Betamale points out, good classroom management is an absolute must. Without those things, you would be better off looking elsewhere.

One thing that Betamale forgot, add in some serious admin, the pretty tedious task of marking 200+ books on an often weekly basis and you really have to consider if it is the career for you if you imagine some kind of Mr. Chips scenario.

7. Harsh?
    No, honest. The line "would hattttttte ONLY teaching gcse" is the issue I have addressed.
    There is a difference between 'aspiration' and actively disliking a situation that is highly likely (and the job of many who do want to teach A level) for the first part of the career for most trainee teachers.
    Most trainee teachers will get the 'lesser' sets and only good schools with trusting leaders will make a situation the OP wants happen in the early stages of teaching. As a result I say wrong career or at best, very poor outlook and somewhat naive.

8. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Are you counting both AS and A2? This seems appallingly low. What about giving kids the chance to do Further Maths, and choices between Mechanics, Statistics and Decision Maths?

Yes, I've seen this! I remember one old biddy, who couldn't even teach Y11 well, being offered a calculus class for precisely this reason.

9. Correct, its very low and "We can't justify staffing 5 pupils to do further maths" (SLT). We had 5 end up completing an A level course (normal maths). They would not even fund the textbooks for me to teach it in my own time. Kids get 2 hours with 2 diferent teachers a week in normal A level maths. The irony is that the head used to be head of maths.
    Wrong outlook at the school yet we have 5, yes 5 hours a week given to to clowns who are resitting their GCSE (1st or second...heck even thrid in some cases) to accompany their noddy vocational course.

10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

That's really sad. I'm going back about 35 years, but if memory serves me right my maths teacher spent time with just two or three of us doing S-Level papers in both statistics and pure maths. Either we were very lucky and privileged or things have gone downhill a lot.

11. Shame isnt it.
    My free school will be up and running before I run out of rants about the one I work for [​IMG]

12. Are these a Maths degrees with a PGCE?
    In general (and I state general) the focus will not be on the syllabus of the A level.

13. skintbint

skintbint New commenter

I took a BEd in Secondary Maths many years ago, in my first post I was only allowed to teach up to Foundation tier GCSE. A-level teaching went to the (Cantab) PGCE holder - quite reasonably I thought.
    Fast forward 10 years and after a stint in FE - basic skills, I took up a position in another college, I enquired about A-level teaching at the interview and was told - no chance! However when their first choice appointment was found to be unsuitable I was offered the post instead and I politely asked...So how much A-level teaching can you offer me? They were able to find me 1 session of AS maths a week, next year it will be two!!
    Teaching A-level for the first time is very hard, I found the first year challenging but got through it with support from my colleagues and CPD from www.mei.org.uk. I was very happy teaching basic skills at my previous college and stayed 3 years, but always wanted something more challenging. Now I get to teach from Entry level to AS, so I get the best of both worlds.
    You just have to keep asking, knocking on doors and prove yourself at the lower stages if necessary. If you're good enough the opportunity should present itself.