1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is becoming a qualified teacher a disadvantage to securing roles?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by PatiencePeace, Jan 29, 2020.

1. PatiencePeace

PatiencePeace New commenter

The reason I am asking is because I have seen members of this forum saying roles are being given to newly qualified graduates or unqualified teachers who teach without a qts which can be done if you go through the pgce route only without a qts because they are poorly paid which saves schools money in the long run.

Now I am on my way to hopefully to begin becoming qualified. Is this a disadvantage to job prospects in the UK and abroad?

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

If you want to work abroad or work in good schools here and seek pay progression then you need QTS.

Unqualified teachers are paid far less. Not all schools will employ them and you need QTS for a lot of teaching jobs and for all overseas teaching jobs.

install and Stiltskin like this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It is not different to other professions. Would someone being a qualified engineer (e.g. MIET) be a disadvantage? Some companies employ engineers that are not as qualified, because they are cheaper and they don't always need people with the particular skills they have. Having professional status doesn't preclude them from applying for those sort of roles assuming they want a lower skilled job/worse conditions/less pay. Not having professional status though will stop them from applying for many jobs.

Also ask yourself, would you want to work in a place of employment that did not want their employees to be as skilled as possible?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

If you want to be a teacher, then get qualified. Reputable schools everywhere SHOULD prefer qualified teachers as their first choice for a teacher position. I know that independent schools can hire experts as teachers , who are not technically qualified teachers, but I would strongly advise that anyone who is serious about having a professional career as a teacher gets full, qualified teacher status first.

agathamorse likes this.