1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is bad behaviour out of control in our schools?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Babycakes77

Babycakes77 New commenter

Zero tolerance in my G.P surgery means that if you are rude, violent and aggressive you get kicked off the list of patients. In A&E the same applies. How have we got to a stage where teachers can be treated in such ways? The simple matter is I think people believe that it is part of our job, and that we should just accept it.

Then we have to make the dreaded 'phone call home' to explain the situation, which never goes particularly well and many parents these days are not supportive of school sanctions. Add these 'conflict calls' on the end of an already overloaded working day and we wonder why teachers are so stressed!?

It is an easy drum to beat to say it comes down to parenting. That said, I think in the main it is lazy, passive parenting which is often at the root of poor student behaviour. I don't see that many modern parents are very interested in their kids.

Everyone is chasing the bucks, has little time or inclination to raise, feed, love, talk to, discipline their children appropriately. Children are given 'things' like gadgets and the latest this, that and the other, when, what they want is time spent with them.

What time do students go to bed nowadays? It seems that parenting rules for observed bedtimes no longer exist either. No wonder students can't learn, look exhausted and can't function properly. The teenage brain needs sufficient time to sleep and reboot, instead of playing computer games until 5 am, then drinking blue pop for breakfast.

As a food teacher, I often ask how many children sit down to a meal in the evening together as a family, hardly any do in my school, they all eat different snacks at different times with no dialogue in between. In the evening, they are either stuck in the four walls of their bedroom, or on the streets, exposed to all sorts of harm.

We underestimate how hard parenting is. I think some people need genuine help to be better parents, and I think that many people would welcome the opportunity of parent forums in their community, and if they don't engage, then we should go down the societal model adopted by the French and penalise people.

With cuts to the youth service, community policing and no discipline at home or school, whilst I hate to denigrate young people, some schools and communities are storing up massive social problems in the future. This is a problem that will have to get worse before it get's better. We are all agreed that our future citizens deserve better, especially in our cities.

tonymars, Alice K, drek and 3 others like this.
  2. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

I completely agree with you. My husband and I have always maintained that the most important thing parents can give their kids is TIME and our two have turned out pretty well based on that philosophy.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Babycakes77

Babycakes77 New commenter

Quite right, mine are only 2,5 and 6 at the moment, but I try to claw back every minute I can with them, as time goes so fast when you teach and try to be a (good) parent at the same time. As my dad would say, the first 40 years are the worst!

4. Absolutely!

5. In China Confucianism has meant that education is at the core of their society. I do think that children are probably pushed too hard there, but in Asian culture, schoolchildren have a much better work and behaviour ethic in general. In Vietnam they even have a teacher day for gods sake! Teachers receive gifts from their students, and cards.

Lalex123 likes this.
  6. drek

drek Star commenter

Over here within two decades we are seeing the results of having promoted rights at the cost of responsibilities.
    And during that time successive governments have managed to replace a thousand years of educational philosophy with Edubabble.
    New is shinier therefore must be more valuable......
    In order for that to succeed they hired an army of CEOs and boards of directors to fiddle with useless data and spend many a happy hour ruminating over it,...
    Bad Behaviour.....can’t be spreadsheeted....... I am not therefore I do not exist.....the new educational philosophy

Catgirl1964, tonymars and Alice K like this.