1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Aunt Bessie real?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Is there a kindly apple -cheeked auntie wiping her floury hand on her apron? Does she live in Yorkshire where she prepares home-style goodies for us busy city types?

2. Yes there is but she has to keep a low profile due to the adverse publicity incurred during her scandalous affairs with Captain Birdseye and the Jolly Green Giant.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Seperated at birth?
    [​IMG]

Apparently she owns a bloody great factory in Hull that employs over 300 people and churns out more frozen Yorkshire puds than any other UK company, but I'm sure she also finds time to get her hands floury when she's not wallowing in her profits.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

It was on jamies foodie show...thwere was no mistaking the blue packaging//////very scintifically made by a machine! lol

5. I think it is for lazy or very incompetent cooks otherwise no-one would buy Bessie's Yorkshire puddings.

6. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

My Yorkies are better - and who the hell would buy partly cooked roasties? I've heard of time poor, but this is just bone idle.

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Where's all the fun in cooking if all you do is grab the stuff from the freezer and bung it in the oven? Frozen cardboard in my opinion.

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Bessemer ("Bessie") Crozier, sometimes referred to as the Yorkshire Batter Empress, is often regarded as one of the greatest batteuses of her era and, along with Elsie "Toad Queen" Spurgeon, was a major influence on subsequent puddingologists<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">
    The 1901 census indicates that Bessie Crozier was born in Horsforth in July 1892. However, the 1911 census recorded her birthday as April
    15, 1894, a date that appears on all subsequent documents and was
    observed by the entire Crozier family. Census data also contributes to
    controversy about the size of her family. The 1871 and 1881 censuses
    report three older half-siblings, two quarter-siblings and a recurring decimal cousing, while later interviews with Bessie's
    family and contemporaries did not include these individuals among her
    siblings.

Bessie Crozier was the daughter of Abhoria (n&eacute;e Flem) and Radigund Crozier. Radigund Crozier was a sheep-bender and part-time viticulturisrt. He died before his daughter could remember him. By the time she was
    nine, she had lost her mother as well in a poorly-documented but lavishly illustrated sponge-fishing trip to Whitby. Her older sister Spanglunia took
    charge of caring for her siblings.<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">

To earn money for their impoverished household, Bessie and her brother Fuss began batter wrangling on the streets of Cleckheaton as a duo: she singing and mixing, he accompanying her on steel drums. Their
    favourite location was in front of the White Elephant Bar and dog-grooming emporium the heart of the town's Latin-American
    community.

In 1904, her oldest brother, Fuss, covertly left home by joining a
    small traveling pudding show owned by Moses Spoon. "If Bessie had been old
    enough, she would have gone with him," said Fuss's widow, Ffriff.
    "That's why he left without telling her, but Fuss told me she was
    ready, even then. Of course, she was only a child."<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">

In 1912, Fuss returned to Horsforth with the Spoon troupe. He
    arranged for its managers, Lonnie and Connie Donnie, to give Bessie an
    audition. She was hired as a dripping tender rather than a mixer, because the
    company also included the notable mixer Mavis "Two Spoons" Cog

In the early 1920s Bessie, tired of being relegated to a supporting roile, left the Spoon troupe and set up as an independent pudding mixer, performing mainly in the Batley and Pontefract area (the infamous Pudding District Seven) in working mens' clubs and cappucino mines. It was around this time that she met Michael "Mikey Mike" Michaels, an itinerant pudding dish enamaller. They fell in love and, after a whilrwind romance, married in 1923. The marriage was a stormy one, with infidelity on both sides - her with Captain Birdseye and he with an Armenian spoon whittler. During the marriage, Bessie became the biggest headliner on the North of England Batter Manipulation circuit. Her show sometimes featured as many as 40 puddings
    and made her the highest-paid pudding entertainer of her day. Michaels was
    impressed by the money, but never adjusted to show business life, or to Bessie's rising arachnophobia.
    In 1934, when Michaels learned of Bessie's affair with Staunton Webb, a spider taunter, he ended the marriage, though he never sought a divorce.

Bessie eventually found a common-law husband in an old friend and noted cake producer Mr Kipling, who was her uncle's commercial adviser and the antithesis of her husband. She stayed with him until her death.<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">
    The Second World War saw a dramatic shift in Bessie's fortunes. With the conversion of the pudding theatres into submarine factories, Bessie lobbied for, and won, a contract to provide portable Yorkshire puddings to troops of the British Expeditionary Force to West Africa, conventional pudding ovens not being suitable for operations in equatorial climes. These puddings proved to be a huge success not only in feeding the English troops but the foil tins quickly gained acceptance as currency amongst the sailors of the Free French fleet that accompanied the expdition.
    Bessie's operations steadily expanded through the war and, by the armistice, her manufactirung empire extended throughout Yorkshire and also included plants in Malta and Bodo in Norway.
    The post-war history of Bessie and her steady domination of the frozen roast dinner accompaniment market is admirably told in Herburt Hotfat's definitive tome "Aunt Bessie: the Untrue Story" (later made into a minor film with Maggie Smith in the title role)to which the reader is recommended.

9. Oh for crying out loud ... My son would eat yorkshires with every meal ... I make them if I am doing roast beef plus but for every other time he can get some out of the freezer and stick them in the oven

People who are "above" Aunt Bessie are up thir own ar$es

peggylu likes this.
  10. Indeed [​IMG]

11. Jeez...I'm not having any of RF's toad in the hole.

12. Lol ... I make a fab toad in the hole

13. Yes ...with real holes. :¬))

14. First ... Squeeze the toad really hard ...

15. Not too hard . You don't want it croak.

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Personally I don't like Aunt Bessie's yorkies......too salty by far.
    Secondly, perfect yorkies are just sooooo easy to make and cost far less than you pay to line the coffers of Aunt Bessie's bank account.

17. Aunt Bessie's yorkshires in 4 minutes flat when I gallop in from work and need to feed the starving. My own when i have a leisurely morning before a Sun lunch. Mine always stick to the tin, mind you, and AB's positively bounce out of the oven. Resent the Aunt B = bone idle assumption!

18. BelleDuJour

No-one said that. It's just that homemade taste nicer and are dead easy. Can be made while everything else is cooking. I don't know what you can cook to go with Aunt Bessie's that takes just the 4 mins her yorkies take, other than a sandwich!

19. BelleDuJour

Maybe 'cos they is made from rubber? [​IMG]

20. Aunt Bessie is married to Uncle Ben. When they are unwell they consult Dr Oetker.