1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is aswell one word or two words?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by olipage, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Hi there,
    Can someone just give me some feedback about the word "aswell"?? Is it one word or two? Things like this stump me sometimes,.... a teacher corrected me today and said it was two words but I'm not sure- I need more opinions.
    So if you're saying, 'could the children bring their coats aswell......' would you write as well or aswell???????????/
    thank you for any replies ;)

2. Hi there,
    I'm certain that it's two words - as well. The children like to say it as one word, but it is written as two.
    Hope this helps

3. Two seperate words. There is no such word as 'aswell' in the same way that 'alot' is not a word.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Opinions on the matter are quite irrelevant.
    As well is correct.
    Aswell is incorrect.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

two words try looking it up

6. Bit baffled to the fact that you didn't know yourself so you asked someone else, who told you how to write it correctly but then it seems you didn't believe them so you thought you would come on here and ask others!
    Probably would have been quicker to just listen to them or do a quick dictionary search on here.

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

As has been said above, the correct spelling is "as well". Of course it is. You'd never see "aswell" published in print. (Not to say that it won't ever happen. At one time "onto" was not a correct spelling.)
    However, just nitpicking really, I suppose, you could argue that "as well" is one word with a space included in the spelling. When "as well" means "also", you could no more put another word between "as" and "well" than you could between "al" and "so".

8. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Or 'seperate' is not a word;)

9. One of the words I always spell wrong if I don't stop to think about it!

10. Oh, the joys of posting on and education website!
    Every other forum I use gives a passing nod to correct grammar, sentence structure, syntax and spelling.
    Post on the TES site and you have to operate the 'Green Cross Posting Code.'
    Edit once, Edit twice, Edit again and if all's clear Post.[​IMG]
    It's like sitting a Grammar exam every time you post.
    My particular difficulty is practise/practice and stationary/stationery!

11. Msz

perhaps TES could give us an edit facility for those mistakes you notice just after you hit post

12. That would be ideal, but I doubt it will happen as we have asked for it for years.
    MSE has an edit function, very useful when you hit post and notice a glaring mistake!

13. Msz

I had originally typed "hot" post which would have made reply interesting

14. I
    know the phrase As Well is two words but why? if you take the meanings
    of the two words independently they don't reflect the meaning of "as
    well"... I understand how "a lot" is two independent words because the
    meaning of lot can be a large amount which makes sense a lot = a large
    amount .... but as well is a no go in that sense... I could be missing
    something but perhaps whoever made these writing rules got the as well
    being 2 words wrong.... Someone please shed some light on this most
    perplexing piece of semantics....
    after
    further thought if as well has to be 2 separate words what about
    also... they both only share a phonic relationship with 2 other words
    but "also" gets its own independent word because its phonic counter
    parts all so does not convey the meanings of the new word much like "As
    well"... I think from here on out I'm spelling aswell as 1 word... If
    anyone says that's incorrect i will demand to know why...And I won't be
    satisfied with the explanation because... To adamantly enforce literary
    rules without any knowledge of why it is that way is merely blindly
    following what you were taught to be correct from a book (whatever book
    that is that contains said rules)... In fact (that's another one worthy
    of 2 word-ness) following rules to the extent some English professors
    and majors do is not too far from the way devout religious individuals
    follow the bible/Qur'an/torah ect... They will claim to be correct with
    great fervor but when questioned about the logic behind said claims they
    hide behind that's what's in the book so that's just the way it is...
    No logic = No go for this guy...

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

16. This is just too funny. OMG I have to show it to my friend who is a sub-editor on a magazine & can't bear the basic mistakes on school memos/newsletters. She will freak out!

Despite my hatred of Gove, if teachers are questioning whether as well is one word or two, perhaps we do need to go back to some of the basics in English!

Instead of using as well, the OP could say additionally perhaps?

17. That's exactly my thinking too!Perhaps u hav read my blogs http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.comor http://improvingenglishspelling.blogspot.com ?
    I am completely with u! - I get alot of stick on here for using u for you, but i won't let them stop me.
    Re aswell. Many words that are now written as one used to be spelt as two or more:'all so', 'all ways', 'all be it' ...'As well' means exactly the same as 'too' (when it doesn't mean too much). So why shouldn't it be one word?
    ).
    That's exactly my thinking too!
    For many centuries the few people who wrote English spelt as they pleased, although by 1400 (if we go by the writings of Chaucer) they had somehow managed to develop a fairly consistent spelling systemWhen England ceased to be ruled by the Normans (around 1400 - 1430), the English language changed enormously, with upper class French merging with lower class English and court scribes having to switch from French to English (and making lots of spelling mistakes, such as 'double, trouble, able...).
    Then in 1476 came along printing, first introduced by Caxton who had been away from England for 30 years and assistants who spoke no English. This was followed by the printing of the first English bibles from 1526 onwards, on the Continent, by people who spoke no English (because in England this was against the law until 1539), running to at least 40 different editions, with a great variety of spellings. (QEI and Shakespeare are believed to have owned some of the early ones, which would explain why she often used different spellings for a word even on the same page.)Near the end of the 16th C English spelling had ended up in an almighty mess, leading to discussions about making it more sensible, but (hard to believe though it is) schoolmasters put a stop to it, by beginning to compile spelling lists for their pupils and some having them published.
    And hey presto! Around 1600 we get the beginnings of dictionaries and spelling by the book, as I have explained in more detail in on my EnglishSpellingProblems blog.The lovers of traditional spelling, which keeps children busy trying to master totally pointless spelling inconsistencies for many years, and stops them learning useful things, and especially learning to think logically, hate the facts which I compiled. A few centuries ago some of the people who now post on Opinion would have had me burned at the stake, as they did with Tyndale in 1536 for daring to translate the bible into English.

18. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Well said, Mashabell, English has always changed and it's changing again with all the txting that my nieces are so adept at.
    Having said that, there will usually always be a 'correct' spelling for when we want/need to 'get it right', I always keep this
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/
    bookmarked on my laptop, and let the children see me looking up words when I'm 'not sure' (or when I simply want them to see that nobody knows everything). David Crystal is the living god of the English language, writes terrific books, readable and interesting (if you like this sort of stuff). I like his analogy that your words are like your clothes, you choose them to suit the occasion. So, I'll (try to) write 'correctly' when I'm on the TES forum, but I'l let it all hang out wen im txting my nieces.
    But spare a thought for me while you gnash your teeth at the complexities of English spelling, the children in my class are 6 and 7 years old, and they're all native Spanish speakers!! They are seriously bemused by English, Spanish is a very regular language in that you usually spell words the way they sound.
    I had the reverse before I moved to Spain when I taught Spanish to year 3 in the UK, they thought it was fantastic!
    Here, we call English, 'la lengua loca', the mad language.
    So, what's next? Hmmm, think I might try to explain to María José why she can say/write 'I don't like it much,' but she can't say/write, 'I like it much.' As I said, ¡Loca!

P.S., 'as well'... two words. (Unles im txting, wen its 'aswel'.)

19. Call me old fashioned- I'm quite happy with that- but surely as teachers -particularly as teachers charged with the teaching of basic skills-we should be the guardians and upholders of the correct use of the E,nglish language. If not us-who else?!!
    I find it tragic, not amusing, that any educated adult had to ask the original question. I was recently asked (by an NQT) whether 'would of' or 'would have' was correct. I am no pedant but really!!

20. English not E,nglish- typo honestly!